Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Guess what I found....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So as some of you may remember last year we had a TOO camp out. I was going to cook catfish and set about catching a bunch of them via limb lines.. Right before the camp out i cooked some of them and decided i didn't like the taste of them so I went and got some farm raised store bought ones...

I was cleaning out the garage last weekend and found a 5 gal bucket with a lid.. Hmm.. I started to open it and remembered.. DO NOT OPEN THAT BUCKET! After running the lines one evening I put the cats in a 5 gallon bucket with some ice and put a lid on it. I had to run do something and was going to clean them a little later... I forgot... And now I have a 5 gallon bucket of catfish in water that has been in my garage for about a year!.. And I mean it was full, like packed in there full with some ice..

I don't know what to do with it.. We'll i always have devious ideas of funny things I "could" do.. But honestly, it scares me to think what could be under that lid. I think if opened it would set of sensors in Washington..

:smiley_chinrub::smiley_chinrub::smiley_chinrub::smiley_chinrub: The angel on my shoulder says take it in the woods, open it and run... The devil says drive to washington county and dump it in the back of Jesse's truck..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A similar thing is done in Sweden with herring called surströmming.... Found this on Wiki ""A Japanese study has shown that the smell of a newly opened can of surströmming is the most putrid smell of food in the world""

And they used herring filets.. My bucket has whole fish, guts and all, and catfish at that..

Jeez.. I wanna puke just thinking about the bucket shaped mass of fish jello in there.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
dude you better get someone else to dump it. or just heave it into the woods. You will throw up for weeks if you get that smell on your hands

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
set it as far away as you can shoot...then take some target practice with your favorite rifle...something will crawl out of the earth and take care of the fish jello for you.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thinking about getting a mini storage storage.. Paying the deposit and letting it lapse.. Then show back up for the auction... Take that Storage Wars..

I can't even bring myself to let the trash man have it.. If he compacts that in his truck people on his route to the dump will likely pass out, not to mention the two poor bastards on the back of the truck..

Here's one.. Set it in a park in columbus then hang back and video a homeless guy opening it.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

So the only thing I can find close is the fermented herring filets.. Those are filets... Mine is whole damn catfish guts and all.. Here is what is said about it..

""
In 1981, a German landlord evicted a tenant without notice after the tenant spread surströmming brine in the apartment building's staircase. In the subsequent trial, the court ruled that the termination was justified when the defendant's (i.e., the landlord's) party demonstrated their case by opening a can inside the courtroom. The court concluded that it "had convinced itself that the disgusting smell of the fish brine far exceeded the degree that fellow tenants in the building could be expected to tolerate."[8]
In August 2011, German food critic and author Wolfgang Fassbender wrote in a major Swiss newspaper, Neue Zürcher Zeitung, that "the biggest challenge when eating surströmming is to vomit only after the first bite, as opposed to before.""

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Shoot it with a .22 then go back later with the high power and blast what shows up......

I have a feeling it will attract every buzzard in a tri-county area that will die if they get too close, like an exposed nuclear reactor.. And then there I am. Charged with unintentionally killing 400 buzzards.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
When you get ready to drop it someplace let me know so I can take the 5 gallon bucket I forgot about from 2 deer seasons ago that has innards in it lmao. Been afraid to open that since last year when I found it and remembered what was in it lol.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
LMAO! I did a similar thing and my mom got into it. When I was in high school, I took one of her good tupperwares for night crawlers. It sat in my bag all week and they got nasty so I threw the whole thing, closed, into the bushes. The next summer she decides to trim the bushes and she finds her "good" tupperware laying there. She opened it and this nasty white juice got all over her hands. OMG it stunk. That smell would not wash off. LMAO!!