Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Guidance please on where to start looking to hunt on public land near Marion

doc breen

Hello,
I am from mid michigan where the pure waters flow and the bucks just don't grow!!!I have spent the last 10 years following my kids play high school and college sports all over this country.They are done as of last year and I am ready to come down and explore hunting on pulic land in ohio.I have googled and found interesting info on big island wildlife refuge,killdeer plains,wyandot and willard marsh wildlife areas.I dont really want to go further south as it takes me 5 hours to get to these areas.And I am not interested in doing the outfitter deal either.So with that said does anyone have some insight on where to get started when I take weekend trips this summer to scout. I do use a canoe to get back in if need be. Thank you, Doc Breen

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have heard good things about Kildeer Plains. Never hunted it but have driven around the area a bit road scouting. There is info on this website regarding this location you should be able to find with some searching. Best of luck! Welcome to TOO!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Doc, welcome to TOO!

As hicks said, Killdeer Plains is a nice area... I've heard of some big deer coming out of there over the years. Big Island is also good, but mainly for waterfowling. Willard is decent, but it is relatively small and out in the middle of nowhere... so it gets pressured pretty hard for deer. There are deer and turkeys there, though.

IMO, you really need to give Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area a look. It's located in Sandusky County, just on the south side of Sandusky Bay. As a wildlife area in general, I think it's one of the best around. Your opportunities are endless... deer, turkey, waterfowl, doves, pheasants, rabbits, frogs, turtles... you name it, they've got it. Resthaven Wildlife Area is very similar, is located only about 15 minutes east of Pickerel Creek, and is managed by the same guys that manage Pickerel. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like some more info on Pickerel or Resthaven. I grew up hunting both areas and worked at both areas for a couple years, so I'm really familiar with both. You could even give the guys at Pickerel Creek a call and pick their brain... Just ask for Jim Schott. (419)547-6007.

Good luck!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Doc, welcome to the site!
I hunt southern OH so I got no info for ya, other than to say these boys won't steer ya wrong....and best of luck to you in your search.

After you been around for a while, we'll rib you about being from the land "where the clear waters flow, and the quarterbacks can't throw!"
But we'll wait for a while... :smiley_bril:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Hello and Welcome to TOO. Wish I could help with public land stuff but I can't. Do you do any fly fishing in those Michigan Rivers? If so please share some stories and pics if you got them in the fishing threads. Best of Luck this season though.