Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Roadkill buck this morning

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
A nice buck decided to take on a Cadillac this morning in my area...and the buck lost...laying on the side of the road still kicking....2 sheriffs cars were on the scene...I asked if they were going to dispatch the deer and he responded with a yes....If I wasn't on my way to work I prbly would have investigated getting a tag for it...This is the 6th road side deer I've seen this year in Lucas county...2 bucks that I know of and one pregnant doe that I know of...the other 3 were earlier in the year.

At this point in the antler growing stage, would the DNR still take the antlers?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I doubt it, but don't the real answer to that. At this point, there is essentially no "bone" in those antlers. If you were to peel off all the velvet, it would leave next to nothing...

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I thought so...Not that I would like to have a mounted roadkill set of antlers...knowing thats how the deer died...I guess I thought that if it was able to be preserved, that it would have been interesting to at least have it on a plaque...with a DNR issued tag of course. Thanks Jesse.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you get to it quick, you could get it on dry ice and it might be salvageable. However, I doubt without the structure underneath to support the velvet, that would work like it does when you kill them a week or two before shedding. Sucks to lose a good buck like that...

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
This was near jerome road,but on stitt right after the curve before you get to the mall, if you're coming from the golf course...This is a place I see a lot of deer, frequently

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Think cartilage, they can be preserved you can inject them, but there is some shrinking. Freeze dry them works better but costs more if it's a big set I would go with the freeze dry. It's hard to get the fluid all the way through the antler. If you decide to get a buck throw them in the freezer till you figure out what you are going to do.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
When handling a velvet rack becareful. I stopped for a nice road kill between Zanesville and McConnelsville in late July early August one time and tried cutting the wedge out and once the velvet tore slightly it just started slipping right off. It's best to not even touch the rack if you can help it.