Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Are you a trail camera addict?

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
My wife definitely thinks I need to go to a meeting and say my name is Tom and I have a problem. Whitetails have always been my main focus when it comes to hunting, but when I started to run trail cameras it has gone pretty crazy. My lease is a 3 hour drive, if I had a free day the first thing I thought about was driving down to see what I had on camera. I am more excited when I am looking at my pics, knowing there could be a MONSTER with the next click of the mouse than I ever was as a kid on Christmas morning. I am pretty quiet while looking at pics until a really good buck is on there then for some reason I say the same thing every time DAMNNNNN! Then my buddies come running because they know "its a good one". I also try alot of different things to get unique pictures. Who else has this problem?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Been one for several years now and there is no cure. I'll have 12 cams in the woods by the end of the month and checking them can be a full time gig. I've proven that I'm nowhere near the hunter as I am a picture getter and I've come to grips with that. I enjoy the pictures and that entire process more at time than I do the hunting any more...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Guilty as charged. This year I am going to try to stay out more. Last year I wasn't TOO bad checking every 2 weeks closer to the season. In the summer it was usually once a month.

I don't think there is such thing as TOO many cameras, just not enough properties for them. I think it works out pretty well if you have 3-4 properties. This way you can check cameras once a week, yet only enter each property once a month. lmao

To answer your question: No. I am not an addict. If I admitted I was an addict, this would be accepting I have a problem.

If you ask my wife? She would say YES! haha

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Been one for several years now and there is no cure. I'll have 12 cams in the woods by the end of the month and checking them can be a full time gig. I've proven that I'm nowhere near the hunter as I am a picture getter and I've come to grips with that. I enjoy the pictures and that entire process more at time than I do the hunting any more...

x2... Cams and shed hunting are what I enjoy most. You kill one and its over with. All you can do is look at it on your wall...lol

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I can still remember the day my wife came down stairs when I was working on all of my cameras on my work bench during the winter. I did not hear come down and all I herd was ARE ALL OF THOSE YOURS!!! I took a bite from a TWIX candy bar and said no they are all of the guys from the lease I just take care of them :smiley_crocodile:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's a yea here. Of course I always tell my wife I don't have an addiction. It's a passion.lol

I sort of agree with JD and Jesse BUT my main objective is to get that target buck on cam or the owner of a certain big shed I've found on the wall. So's I CAN look at him....anytime I want. Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can still remember the day my wife came down stairs when I was working on all of my cameras on my work bench during the winter. I did not hear come down and all I herd was ARE ALL OF THOSE YOURS!!! I took a bite from a TWIX candy bar and said no they are all of the guys from the lease I just take care of them :smiley_crocodile:

I don't want to lie to my wife. Fortunately for me, I buy them with a buddy. We hunt the same property for the most part. The last two years we bought 4 cameras per year. It really helps when you pay for two but each of us takes advantage of 4. Do that for a couple year, add in the ones we had before and the ones we are adding this year. . . ummm. . . we got a bunch. Easy to say, "No honey, half of these are _________'s_ cameras." In all reality, she doesn't care, but I don't know if she realizes how many we have. Heck, I would have to stop and count them right now. I think it is 12-14 plus the tow Spypoints on the next order.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have this issue lol. Not a problem but just an issue lol.

I will have 3 cams running by the end of the month and the buddy I hunt with will have 3 as well. Just getting started on the cam purchases so the collection will grow with time. I have some acres (added another property to the list for this year) to keep an eye on and the 6 cams we have aren't even close to enough to find all the critters but we do pretty good with what we got so far. I TOO find the thrill in that NEXT pic could be the one lol.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I was really bad a few years ago with less cams but would say I'm smarter now with more cams. I try to make sure a camera gets a full month before checking and wait for the right conditions. Ive pushed too many big bucks out of an area when I was yournger by checking cameras to often. Im def addicted to them and will openly admit it, theres worse things I could be admitted to I tell people. I currently run 9 cameras but sometimes I dont run them all bc if I see a deer I want to pursue I will watch him for a few weeks and then dive in to hang a camera and figure his times out, then try to kill him. Theres nothing better than being aggressive and learning a bucks in a area for a short time and going in for the kill!

I will admit to the addiction as well...... The last couple of years I wasn't able to get the cameras out down in Ohio, partly because a neighbor was a big time trespasser/stand stealer. Now that he's long gone and things seem to be under control we have a couple out now and will be getting two more out and running real soon. Only problem is then I have to make the trip down from Michigan now and then to check them....but then again that isn't much of a problem in my book!! :smiley_clap:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am not an addict. I hardly used them last year. I spent several years knowing every animal on the property... I prefer to be surprised. Dumb, I know. :)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am not an addict. I hardly used them last year. I spent several years knowing every animal on the property... I prefer to be surprised. Dumb, I know. :)

I don't know about "dumb". As they say, sometimes ignorance is bliss. Trail cameras are certainly a double edged sword.