Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What poundage do you pull?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I shoot 70. At this point, it is not big deal for me to pull that, even when cold. It also gets the most from my rig. There will be a day when that is not the case. The next bow purchase will be a faster bow and I'll go back to shooting the 63 pounds I shot for years...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have one bow set at 72 pounds and the other is maxed out at around 63. The 63 pound bow shoots as fast, if not faster than the other. I tell ya... I'm a long-time 70 pounder shooter, but the faster bow has me absolutely spoiled at 63 pounds. I doubt I'll ever buy another bow with 70 pound limbs on it, to be honest.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have my 70lb Hoyt set at 64lbs. Through the chronograph with my hunting setup it spits arrows out at 275fps. Just picked up an Elite GT500. Plan on keeping it at 70lbs.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
70 now. I may go with a 60 next time. 70 is cake to pull but why not 60? Does the job and you can shoot light arrows for 3D.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Ive got an Outback that is a 60# bow and Ive got it at its max but Ive never had it checked. When I first bought the bow I got humbled very quick with the 60#'s. I had never shot a compound before and felt like I was in very good shape and would manage a 60# bow with ease. When I picked it up at the bow shop they asked me to shoot it thru paper so they could do what finishing touches they need to do, when I drew the bow back I hit the stop and my shoulder rolled forward and cracked like a ball hitting a bat and the pain was pretty intense as I quickly let the bow back down. I could tell he wanted to laugh his ass off at the newbie but refrained and asked me if I wanted it backed off a bit, I said if were gonna finish you'll have too. I could get it pulled back just enough for them to finish the final adjustment and when I got home the bow sat in the corner for 2 weeks before my shoulder would even begin to let me shoot. I am very happy with the comfort and ease the 60# gives me so I dont see any point in going any higher.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
175 lbs.... just sayin lol... when I shot compound I didn't have access too a scale and shot what was comfortable and a few years later when I did check it I was shocked too see it was @72 lbs..... explained why it was tougher too draw in January while sitting in the stand after a few hours lol.....

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
65-68 is where I keep mine most of the time (Mathews Switchback XT), I have no problem with 70lbs during the early season, but with heavy clothes and freezing cold weather in January, I like keeping it in the 65-68 range for ease of drawing.