Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Operation Urban Warfare

Huckleberry Finn

Well, mom and dad's acre of lawn is getting torn up something awful...and I'm about to put an end to it!

Probably a month ago they had a strong skunk smell and then had 2 coons fighting in the apple tree outside their window. Whichever, probably both critters, are grubbing the lawn on a nightly basis and have covered the whole thing. We ain't got no grubs left, but there's still visitors.

I'm 95% certain after talking to our resident nuisance trapper that it's a skunk. The ole man is hell bent on it being coons. I told him that I'd get the traps and if it's coons, I'd take care of 'em, but if it was skunks, it'd be all on him. I have a good feeling that he's about to have some stinky business in the morning, considering that after his remarks at dinner tonight, I ran up to Adam's and borrowed his skunk-sized live trap and a dog-proof coon trap. Both are baited...

I took advantage of having nothing better to do and the bug free night under the clear skies and full moon to sit on the porch with the 870 for an hour and a half tonight. I could hear coons kady korner from where we are in a swampy stand of trees...so maybe the old man will be right...but when I get woken up tomorrow with "hey, I need some help with this skunk", I may get the last laugh!

Nothing like urban warfare during the off season to temper a desire for blood!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
All you need is a tarp and a pond for that smelly critter..... Stand behind the tarp and walk up too it SLOWLY and place the tarp over the trap load him drive him drop him in the pond wait a couple of minutes then remove him and it's all good.....

Schu72

Streetsboro
Coons for sure. They twist, curl and roll the turf in my yard getting at grubs. Trapped several last year. Just noticied yesterday its starting again. Time to set the traps.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know what side to take. Sounds like some skunk and coon votes. I look forward to reading along and listening though. Should be a funny thread. lol

Buckmaster

Portage
I relocated two pesty coons in the past week. I took them from my parents back patio to my wooded lot so they can bother me later this year. No surprise skunks just yet. Those would probably have to take a swim in my pond.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Sorry Huck...I don't want to derail your thread TOO bad, but does anyone use auto exhaust to dispatch critters? I did this with some invasive birds, but wondered how it worked on larger critters. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to get away with shooting the .22 in my development.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sorry Huck...I don't want to derail your thread TOO bad, but does anyone use auto exhaust to dispatch critters? I did this with some invasive birds, but wondered how it worked on larger critters. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to get away with shooting the .22 in my development.

For coons and such you would need a very small encloser and run the truck forever. With the newer emissions on the cars/trucks it's not like the good ol days lol.
You could get some sub sonic 22 shorts and shoot them out of a single shot and the neighbors will not know a thing.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You would be amazed at what a well placed BB can do.. I busted a rabbit out of the front flower beds at 06:30 last week.. 10 pumps on the old Crossman 760 and a copperhead BB halfway between the eye and the ear.. Bam. he was on his back shaking a leg.

Huckleberry Finn

Rabbits are so thinned skinned in the spring though, and without any fat. I do love shooting chipmonks with the ole pellet rifle though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A bb in the cranium at 765 fps is not gonna matter how thick skinned said rabbit is. Bad shits gonna happen. Same for coons and other critters.

Buckmaster

Portage
I was shooting a Red Rider last night at a foam cup. Back when I was seven I got a Crossman 760 just like Joes. I wish I had it last night to make it feel like 1977 again.
I think I'll put up a WTB post.

Huckleberry Finn

Caught a skunk last night!

Guess who left the house at 7 o'clock in a suit, too busy to take care of it?!? This guy!

In other news, Pops now believes its coons and skunks :smiley_chinrub:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Caught a skunk last night!

Guess who left the house at 7 o'clock in a suit, too busy to take care of it?!? This guy!

In other news, Pops now believes its coons and skunks :smiley_chinrub:

Sounds like my old man... Fugger can never admit when he's wrong. lmao