Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My kids rule!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We live in a small town, Greenfield to be exact. It has a population of around 5k. Typical of any small town, everyone knows most everyone. About 12 years ago, a fella named Daryl Unger was killed while doing some excavating work. He was known and liked by everyone in this town. The fella that ran our sporting goods store started a scholarship and fishing derby in his name.

The fishing derby has become wildly popular, and draws a huge crowd to one of the city ponds. My daughter has participated for at least the last ten years, and my son has joined in since he was four or five. They have both won each year since they started. Age classes are divided into three categories, 7 and under, 8-11, and 12-18. Grand prizes are given for first fish, biggest fish, and most fish. With the rules being what they are, the strategy has always been to catch as many fish as possible... you stand a chance to win two out of three categories. It has worked forever. My daughter has one with the most fish EVERY year. My son has won with the most or the first EVERY year since he started participating too! I am amazed, really. There are typically 300-350 kids fishing...and these two come out with trophies and fishing rods every year! This year, Madison also won a bike...its crazy really.

Aside from my kids coming out like a couple of bosses, the fishing derby is the neatest day of the year here in Greenfield. This town is full of "poor" folks, and a lot of these kids probably would never be exposed to fishing if it weren't that so many in the town come out for the derby. Every participant leaves with a door prize, and some fishing gear. It's really a neat thing that our community has done with this thing. Our pizza shop is only one of the many sponsors but I gotta say I'm pretty proud we are able to help with it. We have people come through our door everyday wanting money for a "good cause", and I am too big of a wussie to say no...most of the time I feel like money has just been extorted from us...not so with the fishing derby. And heck, as much fun as my kids have had, I'd say we've gotten our money's worth. :)

Here are the champs.

Attachments

• IMG-20120602-00105.jpg
    IMG-20120602-00105.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 217

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Talk about reigning champions! They are going to be legends at this rate! Way to go to your kids Brock.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Talk about reigning champions! They are going to be legends at this rate! Way to go to your kids Brock.

Hehe... no doubt. When the coordinator called their names for their prizes he announced them as " Master fisherman, Mason Ratcliff", and "Still un-defeated, reigning derby champion, Madison Ratcliff". I gotta admit, at this point it is getting a bit nutty. The son of one of our employees was waiting to fish as Madison walked by and told his mom he wasn't going to win. She asked why, and he pointed to Maddie. :) Sorta makes ya feel bad for the other kids...but mine are in it to win it. :)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I feel ya. How do you tell your kids to hold back a little in a world where mediocrity is where society wants to set the bar? Screw that. If your kids are good fishermen and women, good for them. If the other kids can't handle it, then maybe they should practice more. Same thing with my kids in baseball/softball. Garrett has come a long way. He is slugging that ball this year and his fielding is much improved. (I honestly never had the talent he is showing at that age level.) Graci is playing terrible. Hate to admit it, but it is what it is. I think she has struck out 75% of the time. She gets down and all I can tell her is "Practice, practice, practice. Giving up is not going to make you better."

I am happy for you Brock. You should be proud, and from your posts, it appears you are quite the proud Papa! Good for you and the kids!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks guys. The derby has a way of lighting a fire to fish it seems. Madison used to go hunting and fishing with me everytime I went out the door. Since Mason has gotten old enough to tag along, she has sorta decided to stay home a lot more. Anyway, yesterday she told me she wanted to go fishing...on the boat, with me and Mason. I couldn't believe it! Mason and I fished a creek for a couple of hours, and then went home to get Mad and the boat. Was a pretty darn good day with BOTH kids on the boat! BTW, they are pretty competative when it comes to fishing. The smack talk between the two of them was a blast to hear. Madison caught the first two crappie last night, and she wouldn't let Mason forget it....she also told him she had 6 years of experience fishing and hunting with ol dad before he was ever born, and that he'd never catch up to her skills. HEHE.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Doesn't get much better than that Brock. Glad to hear you enjoyed some time fishing with both kids!