Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn and Deer Activity

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
For over a month now, I have been running a camera behind the house. I put out some corn so anything passing through would stop and have a bite to eat, and as a result, I would get some good pics of them. Well, the first spot I had the camera, I had 75lbs of corn out for 3 weeks, and when I moved the camera, there was still 50lbs left on the ground. I put the camera 250y further up the field edge and did the same thing, 75lbs to get the deer to stop. Again, they would grab a bite, and they were gone. That pile had sit there for two weeks hardly touched.

Well, it's like someone flipped a switch the past couple days. Between Thursday morning and Saturday morning, that 75lbs of corn has vanished completely, hundreds of pictures of deer devouring it. I don't know what the deal is. I was telling a fellow bowhunter here at work today, and he said the same thing has happended at his feeder. Weeks and weeks of corn laying on the ground, and then all of a sudden, the deer are hammering it.

I really don't know what would cause them to all of a sudden tear the corn up. The only thing I can come up with is that all the crop fields around are being harvested this week, and I wonder if it might be related to that. Any ideas from you guys? Anything similar going on in your area? Maybe they are fueling up for the big "R".

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
makes me curious. I had some corn sit for a while and like you said nothing has touched it. I havent checked that spot for a week or so, now I'm wondering if I shouldnt have a look at it.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That's the wierd thing, there are still acorns everywhere. I have some serious hardwoods behind the house, with a ton of white and red oaks. Everywhere you look there are acorns to eat.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Not that either. I have had the same deer on camera every night for the past 4 weeks. They come in every night and visit the camera, grab a bite, and they are gone.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I have seen the same thing. It was light a light switch behind my house where the Live Cam is set-up. Same thing at our core farm, tons of acorns and not touching corn. Now they are back to it despite the abundance of acorns. I wonder if it's not a "too much of a good thing" scenario.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Temps migh have them staying by the food source not moving around as much??? Find a source and camp out by it??

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I like lasagna...but after eating almost nothing but lasagna for a month, I'd want something else. Deer like acorns...but a lil variety goes a long way.