Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ever think about a Mead Paper Company lease?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Asked them in February if they had plans to cut any timber... Nope.. Nothing planned for 3 years they said... We lease about 900 acres from them.. Our property's a mix of about 45 year old hardwoods (60%), 3 year old clearcut (20%), 14 year old row planted pines (20%).

3 weeks ago they moved timbering equipment into our pines. FUCKERS!

Here is what those pines looked like 2 season ago when I had to clear a road due to ice storm damage.

Exact same view. Here is what they look like today.. And they'll be removing the rest as far as you can see..

Here is what the lease looks like today. They have cut over 40% of our lease in the past 3 years.. And still have the balls to raise the rate 50 cents an acre. Fuck you Mead.. Fuck you..

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Wow that flat out sucks Joe, is your lease yearly or are you locked in for a certain amount of time?

Is the majority of the leased lane like this, or is there still huntable land? If not, is there a way to terminate the lease for this years season?

Hate to see that man.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
OK Joe, your last picture answered a lot of my questions. Still sucks that they would take away wooded area and then raise the price.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Why would they care, Joe? If you all get mad and bail out on the lease, someone else will be in there by the end of September. I think it's just a factor anyone that leases ground from them will deal with eventually.

NoDakRat

What really sucks is that almost all of the surrounding property is owned by a local that started a 'Guide' service 3-4 years ago. He's been feeding the hell out of every critter up there and now he'll be providing cover as well. The next few years are going to suck like you wouldn't believe.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Man, that really stinks, but I guess that is what you must be prepared for when you lease from a timber company. Still stinks though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Wow that flat out sucks Joe, is your lease yearly or are you locked in for a certain amount of time?

Is the majority of the leased lane like this, or is there still huntable land? If not, is there a way to terminate the lease for this years season?

Hate to see that man.

It's yearly.. I added another map. There is still about 60% in hardwoods.. knowing them I suspect they'll cut them too in the next 5 years. The major reason we have the lease is it was once public land.. Then mead closed it and put it up for lease.. Many of the guys on our lease have hunted it since they we're kids.. And rather than see it go to some out of state group they leased it.. There are 28 people on the lease. only about 6 bowhunt though. And they might kill 7-8 during shotgun. So it's really not over hunted except the gun days, and all they do is drive.

I loved hunting those pines because nobody else wanted to. Basically had the place to myself. Get back in there and find a good spot and you were golden.. This was back when we had deer though.. But i could see 15+ deer a day in there while the guys in the hardwoods might see 2-3..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Why would they care, Joe? If you all get mad and bail out on the lease, someone else will be in there by the end of September. I think it's just a factor anyone that leases ground from them will deal with eventually.

This is true.. A NR would lease it in a heartbeat. It's the fact that they lied to us.. I don't care if they cut in reality.. But the first inclination of it shouldn't be logging equipment showing up. especially after we asked them point blank 3 months prior.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree, it would be nice if they had long range plans to stick to and would share them with you.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What really sucks is that almost all of the surrounding property is owned by a local that started a 'Guide' service 3-4 years ago. He's been feeding the hell out of every critter up there and now he'll be providing cover as well. The next few years are going to suck like you wouldn't believe.

The same "outfitter" who 10 years ago was arrested with a trailer full of deer shot with high power rifles..
The same outfitter who was arrested with his buddies again for hunting with high power rifles..
The Same outfitter who has a reference list on his website of people and friends he knows and is passing them off as clients.
The Same outfitter who has pictures on his website of deer that were NOT killed on his property.
The same outfitter who employs two of the biggest road hunters in Vinton County as "Guides".
The same outfitter whose guides were caught throwing beagle dogs in our pines to run deer back on their property.
The Same outfitter whose guide cut a 4 wheeler path into our pines so he could trespass to hunt.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No kidding, what if you wouldn't have seen the equipment show up and they start going to town cutting trees down, taking tree stands and any other hunting equipment down with them.

I have a blind in those pines.. They don't mess with stands.. 3 years ago they clearcut some hardwoods there and I had a stand in a tree, they just left the tree. lol

tuffshot

The Crew
When Mead and Westvaco merged and sold all the timber land they had a 15 year contract with the timber 2001/2002.
At least 10 years are gone from the contract, before spreading out to farther lands they are going to rape this area.
Notice they are not replanting any of these area either. What was once a renewable resource is now just a clear and smear for cash.

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Scioto Land Company is cutting all the timber to make land payments, Once the timber is gone, the land will be up for sale. Already seen a couple tracts in my county sell to local buyers.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Scioto Land Company is cutting all the timber to make land payments, Once the timber is gone, the land will be up for sale. Already seen a couple tracts in my county sell to local buyers.

Times must still be tough for them. Unless things have changed in the last few months, I thought timber prices were pretty low?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Times must still be tough for them. Unless things have changed in the last few months, I thought timber prices were pretty low?

It is not for timber to them...it is for manufacturing I believe. It is probably for paper or cardboard. Just material to them.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Makes more sense. I was trying to figure out what timber they would be getting out of 15yr growth. Didn't seem long enough but this isn't an industry I am overly familiar with.