Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who keeps a hunting journal

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I was just wondering who keeps a hunting journal? I have been wanting to do this for a number of years, but just havent started one yet. I think this is the year I am finally going to go pick one up and write everything down so I can look back at it when I am older. I also think it would be pretty cool to pass down to my children some day.

Does any one recommend one they really like?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I would like to and have in the past, but as most great ideas, I start off hot and end like an ice cube. It's hard for me to keep at it for whatever reason. Another one of those things I should do and do right that I continue to ignore...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I don't keep a journal, but I try to log dates/times/places etc. along with sightings and any odd behavior I encounter. I think it would be cool to keep a detailed journal, but the majority of the time when I get home I'm taking care of something that got pushed to the side while I was hunting the past 3 hours :).

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
and write everything down so I can look back at it when I am older. I also think it would be pretty cool to pass down to my children some day.

Those are the main reasons that I started keeping one. I started a few years back just keeping track of dates, times hunted, weather conditions, critter sightings, etc. Just the basic stuff. Then I started writing a paragraph or two about the hunt, or if I saw something cool. Fast fwd a few more seasons and it started to become part of my routine. I still jot down field notes, but the more I carried a camera with me into the field, the more I wanted to start including pictures to help retell the story so that someday my kids or nephews could have a look back at some of the things I've done outdoors. So, I opened up a blog account through blogger.com and started keeping track of everything there. I try to update it after each hunt, but that's tough to do, so I at least try and keep updates weekly throughout the season while the thoughts are still fresh in my head. It's been pretty fun to do, and once you make it part of the routine, it gets easier to keep on top of it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I keep a journal. It started with basic info like wind direction, stand hunted, number of deer seen. Last year I turned it into more of a mini paragraph. Not sure where it will take me this year.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
One thing I will do a lot more of this year is carry along a camera in my pack. I know how much I enjoy sitting back and looking at pictures of my grandpas fishing adventures, and I want my kids and grandkids to be able to do the same.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I always talk about keeping on, but I never have. I plan to keep one this year starting with pre-season camera setups and scouting. Guess we will see how long it lasts.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
As many may have guessed, I have a pretty detailed log...it may even have a few graphs plotting activity relative to weather... :D

Not that this has done me any good yet....but hell, eventually I should piece some things together.

I like the camera log idea Jim mentioned the other day. Looks like I'll be adding a tab to my spreadsheet.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This past season was the first time I actually gave much effort in starting and maintaining a hunting log of any kind. Thanks to TOO, I had the platform and the camaraderie in which to do so. Thanks Joe,Jesse and TOOzers. I'm looking forward to doing it again whether I get a deer or not.