Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crappie trolling

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Anyone ever troll for crappie? Years ago, I discovered I could catch 'em most any time of day...even on the hottest days, by trolling. I am about to leave the shop right now, pick up my boy and my boat and troll a bit on Paint Creek. I'm betting we'll get 'em.

Update to follow...:)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've trolled for them in a few reservoirs with success. It seems to be a good post spawn tactic, especially when they're out suspended over deeper water. Good luck out there!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Never did that. Did you know that you can troll for flatheads? Now that is a trip.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Nope never done, never even heard of anyone doing it, but very interested to learn about the technique and what you fellas use when trolling. Sounds like something cool to try on the local reservoirs after the spawn is over.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yes, when I was a kid my grandpa would take me to some lakes in Northern Indiana trolling for crappie. We always backtrolled and used yellow and white twister tails on 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig heads. Sometimes we would hook up 2 jigs on the same line. We used to do pretty good catching them. If you find some fish make sure you mark the location of them and troll through the same spot over and over if you keep catching them. It was a lot of fun and sometimes you would catch a nice bass or pike also.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We didn't have a lot of time, obviously. But with time being rather short for important things like fishing here lately, it seemed enough. We had about two hours to fish, middle of the day again of course. Anyway, we didn't kill 'em, but we did get 25 or so and one channel cat that was maybe a pound and a half. The schools we found were small. The best one we caught was probably only 10" or so, and I think I may have caught the smallest crappie of my life today!:) Still, it wasn't a bad way to burn a couple of hours between making pizzas.

Attachments

• IMG-20120531-00098.jpg
    IMG-20120531-00098.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG-20120531-00097.jpg
    IMG-20120531-00097.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG-20120531-00096.jpg
    IMG-20120531-00096.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG-20120531-00094.jpg
    IMG-20120531-00094.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 181

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nope never done, never even heard of anyone doing it, but very interested to learn about the technique and what you fellas use when trolling. Sounds like something cool to try on the local reservoirs after the spawn is over.

As Jim stated, they tend to suspend over fairly deep water. That is relative of course, and doesn't mean the deepest water in the lake. We found 'em today just on sharp drops from 10 into 24 feet. Lots of empty water out there, but when you find them you can just keep running through them and catching fish. Funny thing is I have rarely had luck anchoring and catching these fish, even though I know exactly where they are holding. Something about trolling over them seems to stir them up a little. When you hit it just right, you will get one on every hook in the water. Typically, I will use a 1/16 oz jig head, 2" tail of some sort. Also, the mini-beattle spins are hard to beat. They are 1/32 oz I think. Usually we'll troll just fast enough to make the blade spin. Sometimes we'll set the trolling motor at a higher speed and zig-zag...they often like this approach better than just a straight-line.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
We discovered it accidentally in the Maumee trolling for "whatever". We were using, and still use, Rebel Deep R's, trolled about 5mph.
Here are some older pics with my sister-in-law.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Cool! We use crankbaits to troll for saugeye down here... catch catfish on occasion, but not enough to say they were targeted. I spoke with a guy on Rocky Fork one day that had caught 8 cats while trolling for saugeye. Maybe he decided to forget the 'eyes and switched to fishing for cats.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is awesome, Mike! I never would have thought of trying that for cats. I should know better, though... We've caught plenty of channel cats while trolling out on lake erie.