Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hatfields and McCoys

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anyone else watching this on History Channel? The encore presentation of part two is on right now. I've always been a huge Kevin Costner fan, and this movie is quickly becoming another one of my favorites. Part 3 is on tomorrow at 9... If you've missed the first two parts, you may be a bit lost... But it'll still be worth a look.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah. Watched it last night and tonight. I knew the story but it's a cool show.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Watched bot episodes. Good stuff so far. They have been running encore presentations before and after the 9 pm showings.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yeah, I watched parts of the first 2 episodes....those guys had some bad attitudes and short fuses back in those days.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have been watching and enjoying the mini series. History does a great job of bringing some quality TV. Not just Hitler TV anymore.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
On DVR here also. The plan was to sit down one night with the wife, get pizza and watch it in its entirety without commercials. Gotta love DVR!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah, I watched parts of the first 2 episodes....those guys had some bad attitudes and short fuses back in those days.

Some still do.. The GF couldn't understand why two men could allow such a feud to continue so long... She was talking about it and how dumb it was that it had gone that far... I just looked at her and shook my head.. Maybe it's a northern thing, but blood and family names in the south run deep, VERY deep..

Growing up, 3 generations of my family has been feuding with another large family who lives about 2 miles down the road.. My great uncles, their kids, and their kids, my grandfather, my dad and I.. That's three generations deep. And it all started with my great grandfather, so really it has been 4 generations.. The families name is Ewel. He is also a landowner like my family.. We own about 300 acres, he owned about 1,000 that surrounded our property on 3 sides.. A dispute over timber originally started the quarrel. Ewel cut about 4 acres of our timber, he claims it was his, a decade or so later a survey proved it was indeed ours, by then the hatred had been well planted.

Ewel wanted to use his land to build a county dump. Which would have put our 300 acres surrounded on 3 sides by landfill. We wouldn't have it. Fought him in the courts and government.. Not hard considering my great uncle was the county judge, his son was at the time a local Narc agent, and his other son a semi wealthy entrepreneur. But the fighting continued outside the courts. With me and my kin at school and on the bus, and my uncles anywhere they met a Ewel.

My uncles house sat about 100 yards off the property line, Ewel sold a guy a plot of 2 acres for free with one stipulation, that it always had a trailer home on it. And so it was, my uncles nice house in the country had a beat up old falling apart trailer not 100 yards out the side of his house.. They even cut their trees to make it more visible.. We'll years passed and many many many things I'm not going to type happened.. Eventually ole man Ewel kicked the bucket.. His widow wanted to sell some of the property, but she went to great lengths to make sure we didn't get it. Well we got it, after it had to change a few hands in a shell buy... Know what my uncles boy did.. Put in a 50 trailer trailerpark right across the road from the widows house and let it go to pot.. People didn't pay lot or trailer rent, no problem, 100 dogs running free, no problem anything was allowed.. She lived the rest of her day as my late uncle did looking out her beautiful country home at a mangy trailer park. Just because the ole man died, didn't end a thing.. They're both gone now.. but it continues with my uncles, m dad, and all us boys.

I told the GF.. If it was 150 years ago.. People would have died.. Feuds such as those continue to this day, just the law has a bigger presence now. yep, blood runs deep indeed.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I dated a girl that lived on Bull Mountain back in the day. I went down there quite a few times, and I will tell you that is a different world. Those folks would still shoot you dead and leave your body up a holler. My BIL's family lived there also (cousins of the chick I dated). Went there for a visit a time or two. Chickens had free range of the yard...and house. Grandma fried chickens for dinner...while spitting tobacco juice in the sink. You can't make this stuff up. My buddy's father was also from the area but moved to Ohio in the early 70's for work. Mateon ... or something like that was the town closest to his home. He spoke all the time how disrespecting someone's family would get your ass kicked or killed. Having been there, I believed him.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I have been enjoying the series.
Can't pick a side though.....both sides have good and bad....and both of the main characters have good traits and dickhead traits as well.
No black and white here (just confederate grey)

I will say...them 3 McCoy boys that knifed and shot Ellison got what they deserved

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Big Bro and I have been watching it every night when one of us should be sleeping and geting rest but we just can't. Love it!! Can't wait for tonights final!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On DVR here also. The plan was to sit down one night with the wife, get pizza and watch it in its entirety without commercials. Gotta love DVR!!!

This ^^^ is a good call, dude. I would have much rather watched it all at once... Getting into it, and then it stopping short after just 2 hrs is a fuggin tease for sure. Tracie will love it, too. My wife wouldn't watch the first part with me because she just thought it was another "stupid western." But I got her to sit down for a minute during last night's episode and she was hooked!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The commercials really aren't that bad. Not like they usually are on history. Sometimes it's only 2-3 every 15 min.