Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NAP Blood runners?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I used to shoot spitfires, dont know why I ever stopped, but I am testing out the new two blade blood runners. Anyone else try these? Any good?

I shot them through a gallon water jug, and it tore it up pretty good plus almost went completely through my target!

What do you all think? How do you test broadheads?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I used to shoot spitfires, dont know why I ever stopped, but I am testing out the new two blade blood runners. Anyone else try these? Any good?

I shot them through a gallon water jug, and it tore it up pretty good plus almost went completely through my target!

What do you all think? How do you test broadheads?

I've never tried the bloodrunners, but I've heard some decent reviews in favor of them. I'm sure that if you make a good shot, they will do exactly what they should do... kill a deer and kill it quick.

It's been covered here before... the debate on mechanicals vs. fixed blade heads. I've shot both, had success with both, but I prefer fixed blade broadheads. As long as they spin true on an arrow shaft, they're tough, and scary sharp, I will shoot them. Out of a well-tuned bow, fixed blade heads will fly just as good as any mechanical on the market. I don't do much testing per se... I just make sure they're sharp and that they spin true.

Hopefully you get to release one or two of those bloodrunners on a deer this fall. I'm curious to see how well they work and how much you like them.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I really like the NAP BloodRunners alot! I have always worried about using a mechanical blade because of the horror stories you hear of the blades not opening up on a Monster. With the BloodRunners I do not believe there is any way for them to not open up, but even if their was some very small chance it didnt it already has a good cutting surface that will easily kill a deer. I would strongly suggest the 3 blade BloodRunners though over the 2 blades. At longer distances you can clearly hear a whistle while the 2 blades are in flight.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thanks guys! I am thinking about trying the 3 blade also see which I like better!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I prefer to shoot a strong fixed blade head. Simple, tough, and removes all chances of equipment failure short of a manufacturer defect. Add in that you can shoot through blind mesh and a better chance of not deflecting if leaves etc are hit. In the off chance an arrow hits something all you have to worry about with a fixed blade head is the initial deflection, with mechs you have to worry about not only the deflection but also a blade opening causing further flight and impact issues.

To me the benefits of using a fixed blade really boil down to toughness and confidence. An archer must have 100% confidence in his equipment. I haven't had a slick trick fail to exceed my expectations. And I've put some tricks through some shitty shots. Some on accident and a couple on purpose that I never would have fired a mechanical at that angle due to bone. the buck I shot last year was a bad hit. Deflected off a limb. But where the bh shined was it hit him forward of his rear ham angled through the lower intestines, and exited square in the middle of the offside ham. And this deer was no kitten. He was beefy. 35 yards, guts and a whole hindquarter, 27 3/4 inches of arrow passed clean through. The bh is in perfect shape and after sharpening will be back in my quiver this season.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
most people over think broadheads. stick with the basics like blade type, edge retention, blade angles and construction.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm with Joe on this after being on the mechanical wagon for years. It got to the point for me that I could not stomach the uncertainty that came with shooting a mechanical, and I never had a single problem with them. In fact, I put a Rage through a 6.5 year old buck from his back rib, to his front rib breaking both ribs and cutting his liver in half. It was impressive, but I still knew there was room for failure. I shoot Slick Trick Mags now and there is not even the slightest bit of doubt in my head that they will perform when asked to do so. For me, the confidence in my broadhead is more important that what name is on the package...

In regard to how I test broadheads, I shoot them to check arrow flight. If they pass that test, I shoot deer with them. There really is no other way to fully test them in my book than to make sure they fly and that they kill...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Deerjunkie shot a pig with one. The video is floating around somewhere. Pretty impressive!

The 3 blade bloodrunner still has a 1inch advertised cut,even if it is closed..I think the 2 blade is like 1 1/8 closed..So I would think there is a huge difference between the outcome if they dont open VS a more traditional mech(lack of a better term) head not opening...

Like brock, I know someone who shot a pig with them(within the past few weeks,on video) and they did pretty well....
Im not prompting or saying im against the head...Just laying out the facts

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am also a big fan of FIXED heads, but like others have said these heads still cut like a fixed if they dont open. If they do open they really really cut a deer up or atleast they should!