Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lowering Standards for Kids

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Spot on BH57 and Redcloud! My Mom must have went to the same parenting school as Carlos' mom. lmao

I can see both sides of this subject for sure. With our nephew, Geoffrey, he is an excellent candidate for some meds. Unfortunately, now that we have custody and are learning more, I am having a difficult time with the doctors and the schools in attempting to get him off the meds. He has ADD/ADHD/ODD/eye tracking issues/needs bifocals (awaiting the lenses). . . .the list is long. He has attended an "alternative behavioral school" since first grade. In efforts to remove him from this school, we are facing major obstacles. These schools exist simply because a few kids truly need special attention. Once a "borderline" kid enters, the freakin administrators leach onto them with their tentacles and won't let go. Kids do NOT get transitioned back to the public schools because the administrators realize they lose their jobs if they don't have students. It is an ugly downward spiral. They have lowered the standards so much, our nephew is performing 2nd-3rd grade work yet makes the freaking "Honor Roll"? He is 11 years old, performing subpar work, and they are sending him onto 6th grade why? "Because it will damage him psychologically if we hold him back." BS. Reward system is in place to such extremes these kids can be total turds and still be rewarded. "Oh how wonderful! Little Geoffrey did not punch his teacher in the nose today! Here is his reward!" Are you freaking kidding me? It simply amazes me he behaves at home, yet is a holy terror at school. Gee, I wonder what I am doing differently than the school? Hmmm . . . he has expectations and I don't budge an inch if he doesn't meet them. At school. . . not the case. These kids are performing to the level which is expected of them. They get it in their minds that they are problem kids because this is expected of them. They are surrounded with other problem kids where they learn how to hone their skills of mentally screwing with their teachers in efforts to be rewarded for more sub par work. It is sickening.

For what it is worth, you will never hear me jump your stuff for making fun of this. For crying out loud, the kids born with Down's Syndrome might not have the mental capability to function at the same level as "normal" kids. However, they (for the most part) DO know right from wrong. They do have ramifications for improper behavior. They do have standards of discipline to uphold. They are held accountable for their actions. Yet, some of the kids in "normal" schools are not held accountable? We give them special treatment and prescribe them medications? This is a screwed up system.