Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Erie Eyes

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
WOW, what awesome walleye fishing yesterday! We started off first thing hitting Tousaint reef and found the white perch to be in a feeding frenzy. You could catch them with a bare hook they were so thick, but we did manage to pick up a couple walleye before heading to deeper water. We picked up a fish here and there for the next couple of hours but it wasn't fast so I made a move to where a couple of buddies were a few miles to the west. On our first dirft, we had 5 fish in the box before I could get my rod in the water. It was like this for almost an hour. I don't think I have ever caught walleye so fast when drifting. We ended the day with a 6 man limit plus a couple yellow perch. All eyes were caught on gold indiana blades with orange beads. Our biggest fish went 26.5" with several others over 24". We also threw back around 10 walleye that were between 14-15" which is a good sign for the future. My guys for today cancelled on Friday and I took Monday off so I am going to spend time with family the next couple of days.

Attachments

• Fish 537.jpg
    Fish 537.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 207

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
You caught those drifting? Wow congratulations to you for being one of the very few that don't troll every time out to get their fish.....drifting is a lost art on lake erie. Great job!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sure wish I had the time to come back up and go after some warreye with you! I had a blast catching yellow perch (and eating them) so I imagine the warreye trip would be a great time!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You caught those drifting? Wow congratulations to you for being one of the very few that don't troll every time out to get their fish.....drifting is a lost art on lake erie. Great job!

Guys are absolutely out of their minds to be trolling when the drift bite is good. Without a kicker motor, trolling gets pretty damn expensive. Plus, drifting is much more fun IMO. Trolling can be pretty fun, too, but it sure is a lot of work.

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
Thanks guys, I love to drift! There are few people who do it anymore because most of the time, trolling will put more fish in the boat (more lines in the water covering more ground). I honestly would rather "catch" 15-20 fish drifting than the boat hook a limit trolling. Drifting is a lost art, but if you work at it, you can still catch them. It is always rewarding to catch fish on harnesses that you tie.

Jesse, make some time and head north.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I grew up on lake Erie as a kid. My grandparents always had a place at Turtle Creek Marina. I caught hundreds of walleyes out there drifting over the years. One year I caught 99 walleyes on a green,chartreuse and black "big John" lure.... and finally lost it on the 100th fish....a really large walleye that broke the line right at the net. That lure barely had any paint left on it and was still putting fish in the box. Man I miss that drifting experience.....