Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who films their hunts?

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I started filming a few years ago. I started off with a Canon GL2 and liked it alot. Last year I upgraded to a Sony AX2000 and really like this camera. I film all of my sons stuff and a few friends. I hunted about 50 days last year the camera stayed home only once on a doe hunt. Here is a pic of my set up below.

camera.jpg

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I attached a FlipCam to my crossbow scope last year, just for fun. I didn't get any kill shots, but it was still cool to film a few close encounters. The quality is only 720p.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I do some. I have a Sony Vx2100. Pretty much always use a camera guy. It turns out way better. I carry it sonetimes when by myself but don't try to capture kills when self filming

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I usually bring mine along since purchasing last year. My buddy and I intended on filming hunts for each other or ourselves. Just hasn't really happened much. The camera has taken some pretty good free hand footage though. I have a Panasonic TMD900. Pretty sure that is the correct model number anyway. Can't tell anymore since I covered it. lmao

Lundy

I tried some self filming for the first time this year. Used a cannon Vixia HMF40 and was pretty happy with the results, but the filming is just for me not any kind of production

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've got the same setup as you MR. Filmed my wife's first bow kill with it last year. Hardest part for me is self filming, as I work an odd schedule and it is hard to get out with a second person to film often. I'm going to purchase a wired remote for it this year hoping it will help in the self filming department by cutting down on movement. I don't know why I'm worried about it though, I have the worst luck when I'm in front of a camera! LOL

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
My brother and I have filmed several hunts. Always in gun season and usually long distance on does. We both have the same small handheld Sony camera. He bought a Canon GL2 over the winter so we should be able to get some better footage this year. I'm pretty much over the long distance stuff. It's fun and all but I want them up close and personal on video, and with a bow. Greg, we need to get hooked up and get some kills this year. As long as everything works out for me I'm going to dedicate more time to Ohio this year and since we're on the same schedule we should be able to get some good stuff. I'd be honered to be the one that lays down the footage of you breaking your run of bad luck on a booner this year. LOL

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My brother and I have filmed several hunts. Always in gun season and usually long distance on does. We both have the same small handheld Sony camera. He bought a Canon GL2 over the winter so we should be able to get some better footage this year. I'm pretty much over the long distance stuff. It's fun and all but I want them up close and personal on video, and with a bow. Greg, we need to get hooked up and get some kills this year. As long as everything works out for me I'm going to dedicate more time to Ohio this year and since we're on the same schedule we should be able to get some good stuff. I'd be honered to be the one that lays down the footage of you breaking your run of bad luck on a booner this year. LOL

Heck of an offer right there! Tough part of filming with someone else is the fact you both have to keep similar schedules, be generous to give up your time to film each other, and be like minded with your hunting regimen. I don't intend on producing anything. I am more like Lundy in filming for my own enjoyment and memories. I guess this is part of why I never drag the camera arm and fluid head out. Just more to set up, more movement, and more to screw up in the moment of truth for me. Sounds great in theory, but it takes some serious commitment to film at the level the pros do.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I always try to take a video recorder with me when I go hunting, but its with our family recorder(small HD Sony). I get all kinds of warnings from my wife that I'd better be careful with it when I do take it. Lol

Nonetheless, I've got some great footage over the years of some nice encounters. I always try to get the kill on tape but never have. Something always happens I guess. I do/have managed to get some great video just seconds before I've killed a few nice bucks.

I remember back in the mid 80's my bro and I tried to video a kill. He was filming and I was hunting. We used one of those Sharp VHS recorders( fuggar was as big as a Stanley lunchbox) lol, anyway, he had the camera off to save battery life till prime hunting hours. It was around 1:00 in the afternoon when we climbed up our trees which were about 13 yards apart. About an hour later(2:20 to be exact) he whisper shouted, get ready....here comes a shooter! Hell, I was up and ready turned towards my bro and this dandy 150 gross perfect 10 stopped right between us near the base of his tree smelling the ground. We had rubber boots on but he was catching a whiff of something but not getting too alerted. My bro hadn't turned the camera on yet! He turned that sumbeech on and it made he most GOD awful racket that buck jumped out of his hide and blew outta thereto about 50 yards behind us before stopping and looking back. We both were upset but hey, that's hunting. A couple hours later a small 1.5 year old 8 point showed up and my brother watched me double lung him with the camera off. One of the most memorable days of hunting for the both of us. We often talk about it wondering if we'd only been better prepared and had that danged camera on before hat buck came in.

A good buddy killed that deer during gun season and he netted 145". That was considered a pretty big buck back then because there wasn't that many.

Last edited: