Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

AC Help

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When we bought our house, I knew I'd be lucky if we never had to replace the AC unit. Today is a great indicator something is up. Here's the scoop...

The AC kicked on at 74 degrees inside today. It's now 83 in here. We have a new thermostat, new filter, I shut off all unnecessary vents, and did my best to find the drafts and seal them. I finally got soffit vents installed today, one per hundred square foot of living space. I walked out to see the unit and found it like this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338076745.609102.jpg

The air coming out feels cool at best, but nowhere close to cold. Even the medal vents are not cold to the touch. My thinking is we are out of freon. Right or wrong?

Also, the old farm house at the farm has a "newer" unit that has been sitting for 6 years unused, and only had two years of use prior to that. It's twice the size as my current unit. What are the chances you could pull that bigger unit, recharge the freon and install it at my house? I'm thinking electricity could be the biggest obstacle considering I'm only a 100 amp service.

Any help here is greatly appreciated!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Jesse, even though we have already talked I will respond so that if anyone else ever runs into this problem they can reference it.

When your unit freezes up like this it is usually one of two things.

1. The units Freon charge is low. It is not out just low.

2. There is air flow problems at the furnace. Could be a plugged filter or even worse a plugged A-Coil. If the air can't flow through the coil enough then the Coldwell freeze up.

If it is the first which is most likely then your unit has a leak. A/C units don't consume Freon like a car consumes gas. If the charge is low it is because it has leaked out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pretty good having ol' Steve on call today. lol

If it makes you feel any better, we pulled into the campsite last night and the A/C wasn't working on the camper. Climbing up was a bitch without a ladder, but a dually backed up with coolers stacked on the tailgate did the trick.:smiley_crocodile:

We were running into similar issues today after hiking and ended up shutting it down and just running the fan until it thawed out a bit. Pretty much everyone I chatted with about it today (my Dad, brother in law, and one guy at the camp ground) said similar to what Steve said. Probably a charge.

Just a thought? Is your water decent? I am not sure if you are on a well or not, but we are at the house. I was told there is something about the the gases from well water shortening the life of appliances and A-coils. Not sure if it is the sulfur or something else. Maybe Mr Dlesk has a more professional answer, but I know our A-coil does not last as long as the one at my parents house where they have city water. Weird, but something to think about.

If it is leaking, I would have to wonder if you could braze any leaks up in the a-coil or if it is even worth the time. There again, I will defer to Steve, but thinking out loud with a couple TOO many Bud Lights in my system as I hang out around the campfire. Gotta roll, I think my Teva sandals are melting. lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Doesn't make me feel any better to be honest. Your camper and my house are two different sets of existence. Hard to feel sorry for someone on vacation camping in style while my pregnant wife suffers in a sauna of a house. Just sayin...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good point. Not looking for compassion. Definitely sucks when shit like this happens though. Hope you get it figured out. If you have already chatted with Steve, then I highly doubt there is much I can offer.
Only other thing I could think of is if the a-coil crudded up? Often the condenser unit sits on a plastic or concrete pad which sometimes sinks into the ground. If they settle enough, sometimes dirt or mulch will collect along the bottom edges and make them work harder. We had this issue once. My uncle is in the business and stopped over. He hooked some guages to it as we ran a hose over the a-coil. It was amazing to watch the pressure readings drop. The unit didn't have to work nearly as hard as it was prior to this. Probably not the case, but only other thing I could think as a possibility. Sometimes the simplest things are over looked. Not saying it is the case, but it sure would be nice if standing there with a garden hose fixed your issue. Good luck Jesse. Hope you get it figured out soon.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
We just had to have a ac guy come to this dump we're living in now. Same thing yours is doing. I was at work when he came but the only explanation I got from my wife was " there was a wire broke outside"... lol

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I once forgot to shut the furnace down and turned the air on. Then left for several hours. It caused the air to run constant and froze the unit up solid inside. I shut off them both and removed the covers on the AC to thaw it faster......... After it unthawed, all was fine until the unit died 15 months later (It was pretty old)

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Phil, I have honestly never heard of your potable water effecting an a/c system. I really don't see how it could beings it isn't even tied into the system.

As far as brazing a leak, that can be done sometimes depending on where the leak is. If the leak is anywhere close to the aluminum fins on the coil then you can't braze without melting the aluminum. There is a product they came out with a couple of years ago that you can add to the charge of Freon that is supposed to seal up small leaks.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
OMO, there is no real rhyme or reason as to when the units go out. I have replaced units that where less than ten years old because the compressor in the outdoor unit was shot. Then on the other side of the coin my father just replaced his old unit this spring (that was still working) and it was 35 years old.
As long as the compressor is working, the coils are kept clean, and there is no leaks for the freon to escape the unit should work fine.

As far as regular maintenance goes just make sure that the outdoor coil stays clean. You keep the indoor coil clean by maintaining a clean furnace filter. Check that filter once a month, if it needs changed change it, if not let it go two months and then change. You also want to use a high efficiency filter with the pleated felt, not the horse hair fiberglass ones. It us not a bad idea for a certified tech to take a look at it at least biannually if not annually.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you have a leak and it's in a spot that you can't braze, you might want to try some JB Waterweld. I don't know if it'll work or not, but I've used it on boats and plumbing, and it seals up leaks instantly... and cures hard as a rock, too. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1418990&CAWELAID=109359012It's worth a shot. Sorry to hear of your troubles, Jesse.... It's hotter than balls out today and I'm sure Tracie not having much fun. Good luck with it.

We just had to have a ac guy come to this dump we're living in now. Same thing yours is doing. I was at work when he came but the only explanation I got from my wife was " there was a wire broke outside"... lol

Sounds exactly like something my wife would say, JD. lmao Bless her heart... lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I thawed things out last night and check the coil on the main unit today. It had slid over a couple inches and we were losing a good bit of air at the furnace. I sealed that off and things seem to be better today. I have the ceiling fans going and it's reasonably comfortable right now. Sealing that gap helped the velocity of the air upstairs and it seems like the air is much colder today. There is still some ice forming out side at the unit, but not as bad as it was yesterday. I bought some pipe insulation to cover that once it thaws and dries, so maybe that will help also.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well, it ain't fixed, but we're heading in the right direction. It actually dropped one degree during the hottest part of the day. The AC has been running since 11 and it's only went from 75 to 77, and now back to 76 inside. Still not great, but a moral victory over yesterday!!!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I am glad to hear that you figured a couple things out. Although if you are still having ice form on the suction line then you still have issues. You should never have ice build up anywhere on the unit. If there is anything I can do to help just say the word.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Tracie's cousin is here working on things and it's apparent our airflow is shit. Hoping the outside unit will keep up with a good cleaning of the coil and some rerouting of the duct work.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Jesse;155807[B said:
]Tracie's cousin is here[/B] working on things and it's apparent our airflow is shit. Hoping the outside unit will keep up with a good cleaning of the coil and some rerouting of the duct work.
so her brother is there? hehe...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
so her brother is there? hehe...

Like you said, we all be related down here!!!

He cleaned the outside unit and the coil inside, then added 2 lbs of freon. The coil was coated in dirt, a sign it hasn't been cleaned in ages and that my ass needs to be more diligent on the filter changes. He also showed me how I could reroute some duct work to get better use of the coil. The way it is set up right now, it is not taking advantage of nearly half the coil. I'll get some flex pipe and do that one of these evenings. I will also add a vent in our bedroom as there is only one right now.

After all this, the velocity and temp of the air upstairs increased 2-3 fold. Combine that with the new vents, things should be much better this year in the cooling department. He also indicated the compressor and outside unit were in decent shape given their age. So here's to hoping I can sell this house without ever needed to fix it!

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Running duct work is a bitch, but you can certainly tell the difference in our ranch which rooms have multiple ducts, as well as "in" and "out" vents