Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mullzbugz

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
As some of you may know if you read one of my other post, I have recently become a fly fishing junkie. Andy (Mullskinner) is an enabler... he sent me a bunch of flies he had tied, and I can't keep 'em in the water nearly enough. I have been slipping over to my neighbor's pond and trying them out the last few days, in the middle of the day! To say I have been impressed with Andy's flies would be an understatement! I've been catching fish like crazy the last few days in my very limited time.

I had about an hour today to slap the water with bugs. The first few minutes were slow, untill I found the right bug and the right pattern of movement. Holy smokes, did they go wild! I got 6 gills, 2 largemouth, and likely 40 or more crappie. I extended my time from an hour to an hour and 20 minutes...it about killed me to leave! Today's magic bug was again the crawdad imitation streamer...ripped along in short burst about a foot under the surface. MULLZBUGZ RULE!

Attachments

• Fairfield-20120522-00070.jpg
    Fairfield-20120522-00070.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 130

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang! All this talk about fly fishing lately has me jonesin' to get my old flyrod from my dad's house. I gave up on it too soon I think... I was only 14 when I got it, so my attention span was pretty short then. lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had done the same thing, Jim. I pretty much hadn't done any of it for 15 years but started fooling around with them again last year or the year before. I haven't a clue why, but I could stand for hours in the back yard whipping the thing back and forth. Something theraputic about it, like shooting a bow. And then to see how effective they can be at making a fish eat when he isn't hungry...dang, just hard to beat.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had done the same thing, Jim. I pretty much hadn't done any of it for 15 years but started fooling around with them again last year or the year before. I haven't a clue why, but I could stand for hours in the back yard whipping the thing back and forth. Something theraputic about it, like shooting a bow. And then to see how effective they can be at making a fish eat when he isn't hungry...dang, just hard to beat.

Oh man I gotta get that flyrod soon. The wife and I went for a walk at one of the local county parks yesterday and the lake was just crawling with nice 'gills and largemouths. I can only imagine how much damage I could do with a flyrod in there... I've never even seen anyone attempt to flyfish there!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mully is sending me more of these crawdad things... I lost one of them on a big largemouth, and I am guarding the other as best I can. It's too good not to use though. He said he had never had much luck with those particular bugs! I can't wait to get them in a creek full of smallmouth. He was amazed I caught crappie on 'em today. Heck, Saturday I caught crappie, but none of them ate the crawdad...today, they tore it up. You just never know what a fish will want from day to day. Probably what makes it fun.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I can check with Andy to see if'n he'd whip ya some up. He should be selling these things. I'd about buy all he'd make at this point!:)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
4# tapered leader... I had a bunch, but of course Mullz sent me about half a dozen more four pack of 'em. :) I just got off the phone with him and he is sending me more tomorrow!!! I told him I'd have him a market to sell 'em as fast as he could tie 'em if this keeps up. I'm leaving the shop now to pick up Mason and hit the pond again. Who can work when the fish are biting?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The leaders are tapered...small diameter on the bug end of the thing so it will whip out there like a bull whip. The small diameter propbably helps to hide it from the fish too. When you do it just right, that leader will roll out there and just slip the bug onto the water ... pretty when you do it right.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not so pretty when you don't???? :smiley_clap:

Was curious because they make the fluorocarbon lines now that are virtually invisible when in the water and you can actually use a larger poundage line too prevent the breakoffs..... I've pretty much had great luck with it, and am able too go with a larger poundage line because of it.... Just was curious if the fly fishing world has adopted this style of line?

Oh and tell Mullie too log his ass on here and post some lol....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
J, I don't know if the fly fishing world has adopted it or not. Heck, I'm still trying to catch up with "old school" gear!:)

I picked up Mason and headed to the pond for a bit. We caught a bunch of bluegills and a couple of largemouth right off, but the crappies seemed to be hiding for the first half hour or so. I switched over to another MULLZBUG, one that had caught crappies the other day, and BANG, it was on. I lost count, but I'd guess I got about 20 or so before the skeeters ran us off. Another good trip to the water hole for sure!

Attachments

• IMG-20120522-00075.jpg
    IMG-20120522-00075.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 118

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
J - Mully's puter died. He hasn't replaced it yet because it is summer time and that redneck is busy with redneck things... fishin and such. He did say he may go buy another one pretty soon.

hunna771

Brock, if you can get your hands on some salmon egg flies, you can catch some gills. i have 2 of 'em and i need to take a break from shooting carp and tie a few more. i've caught a ton of gills on an orange and red egg, and some crappie take it and a lot of largemouth do too.... try some dragon fly patterns too. if you need a couple i think i can spare ya some!!:smiley_clap:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks, Hunter. Honestly buddy, Andy sent me more than I am likely to lose in a lifetime. I don't even know what all is in there. You know how he is, he starts packing up a shipping box and goes nuts! I need to spool up one of my heavier rods to throw some of these big bugs. There are a couple of bigger crawdad patterns in there that look unreal in the water, but my 4# isn't rod enough to flip 'em. There are actually a bunch of bass bugs I can't wait to try, especially up north on smallies!

How ya shootin'?

hunna771

i have a 6/7 weight rod with 20# line that gets them bass bugs out there... works for me! Haven't shot targets in a while, but i've been laying some common and buffalo carp out! its a blast... i need to get out in a boat with some lights at night lol