Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

would this even be worth it?

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I would think if you only planted a 1/4 acre they would demolish it being beans. I dont think it would be worth the money or time. Youd be better off with a clover plot IMO that would be a good protein supplement for them at roughly 34% and alot hardier! Ive always been told anything under 3 acres of beans is a bust for deer, i know there exceptions depending on herd sizes but they wiped my 1 acre plot out before it stood a chance last year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Milo could comment better than I on the late planting, but I think you'd be hard pressed to get the growth you'd want from it that late in the growing season. As for the deer wiping out a 1/4 acre, my guess is it depends on what they have available during that time of the year. You could always get some of the deer repellent or build a cheap fence to protect it....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
http://www.basspro.com/Hunters-Spec...oduct/40520700/280224?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

seems like a good mix, but wouldnt the deer whipe this out before the season even started if you only planted a 1/4 acre?

what if you overseeded it with brassicas (turnpis, rape, radishes) in August?

they will hit it hard no doubt. too many variable to know if they would wipe it out. I have planted soybeans in the middle of july and still gotten good results in terms of yields and bean production. I would not overseed with other things.

Buckmaster

Portage
I experimented with Red Zone last Spring. It has similiar seeds such as this. The plot was 1/3 acre in size and was totally gone (got hammered) by summer. I ended up with a weed plot instead.
We'll be planting brassicas mixed with clover in that plot here shortly.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thanks for suggestions guys. I just wish I had one 5 acre field on my farm to plant beans. I have a lot of clover and stuff, but I just do not have a lot of room to plant big plots!

For now I just do small test plots near my cabin. This year it will be mostly clovers and brassicas in the small plots!