Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Some fun shooting Saturday

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So I go down to the homeplace Saturday afternoon....take 3 guns with me I want to do some practice with....my Mosin-Nagant 91/30, my leveraction 30-30, and my 10/22 that I had to retighten the scope on therefore re-zero.

My uncle said he had a surprise for me...he bought some of that exploding target stuff he wanted me to shoot. So I did some zeroing with the 91/30, getting the distance, and was ready to start. I put the first plastic jar on top of a concrete block on the ground....5 shots later BOOM! Fun stuff. So we put another block out (first one was blown apart) with another small canister of the stuff, and I got the smartphone out and had him video it....[video=youtube;1_iuvSiLOAE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_iuvSiLOAE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Dang...looks like the embedded video isn't working right.....here's a direct link to the youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_iuvSiLOAE&feature=youtu.be

You can hear how excited my uncle got...he was goin' all Beavis and Butthead on the video....he was having such a good time he wanted to run back to the store and get some more. I said "Fine, that'll give me time to sight in the 30-30". Get that done and he comes back with two small canisters and a big one, and a can of red spray paint. (The guy at the store told him to put the spray paint behind the canister and it would go off too, adding some color and excitement). So we set it up, I hit it, and it doesn't explode...what the heck? So we mix another small canister, set it next to the one that didn't go off, (figuring when it went off it would trigger the other), shot it...and nothing happened. So we waited a while, got a 5 gal bucket of water and dumped on it, then emptied the stuff on the ground. Here are the empty containers:
IMAG0236.jpgIMAG0233.jpgIMAG0244.jpgIMAG0245.jpgIMAG0242.jpgIMAG0243.jpgIMAG0235.jpg

With the 30-30, I was using Hornady ammo with the polymer tips...my theory is that it was either too fast to ignite it or the polymer tip wouldn't do the job. I don't know.

All in all, a fun day.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Loved it Dan! My favorite two lines "This fuggin thing is jammed!" and "Am I still recording? Should I hit the button again or something?" Both equally funny in no particular order. Just sounded like what any good ol' boy convention might sound like!

Huckleberry Finn

That's awesome.

Those Horandy LeverEvolution rounds are wicked.

Oh, and nice Crocs, but lose the socks bro :smiley_coolpeace:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It takes a fast round to cause those to explode, so I doubt that was the issue. I'd guess it had to do with the polymer tip. Definitely a good time irregardless!!!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Love it.... I know alot of guy are blowing shit up with Tannerite right now. Hell you can buy it anywhere online and even at Gander Mountain now!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Yeah Huck....socks and crocs, that's how I roll comfortable....

Beating the crap out of that bolt sucks...I'm shooting cheap Soviet-era ammo and sometimes the bolt gets jammed when the gun is hot.
I've cleaned and brushed the heck out of the chamber, keep it oiled, still get jams sometimes. But for the most part I enjoy shooting that gun....shoots straight, and for $99 I got me a big bore rifle and a little piece of history. I'm gonna hafta shell out for some brass cartridges sometime.

I'm looking forward to taking that rifle to Ashtabula someday to do some shootin with muh buddiez

Last edited: