Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Das is dis?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Any guesses as to what would do this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337628259.772255.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337628273.545806.jpg

Here's the head of a 100 pound lab in comparison. The holes were in between a softball and soccer ball in size...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337628297.318332.jpg

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Is it close to water? I would guess ground hog or a fox den?? Were there any shirts close by?? If so I would say Huck!! rotflmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not close to water and very close to where I have seen/heard the majority of the yotes in our area. Do yote dens have a mess of bones in the vicinity? This was very clean with a well worn trail running both directions from the den...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not close to water and very close to where I have seen/heard the majority of the yotes in our area. Do yote dens have a mess of bones in the vicinity? This was very clean with a well worn trail running both directions from the den...

Put a cam over it... you might be surprised. I had a coyote come out of a den on me a month or so ago... When she ran off, I went over to take a look at the den. No bullshit, the hole was so small you couldn't get a bowling ball to go down it. If I hadn't see a 'yote come out with my own eyes, I would have NEVER believed it was a 'yote den.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Badger???? Groundhog, fox, coyote...... Or all the above lol.... I like the camera idea though..... Haven't there been badger sightings down your way or west of you?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Any other holes like this nearby ? If it was a groundhog you would have 2-3 pretty close to one another.

I did see a yote that took over an old groundhog hole and made a den for her pups last year. I was amazed she went into such a small hole like that. I thought yote dens would have been bigger then that.

Skunk burrow would be my best guess.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They can fit in some pretty small holes. There are 5 more or so in there.. Notice the hole is only as wide as the grip and mag on the gun.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hung a cam over it to tonight. Figured it was worth the look. Especially since it looks like the deer use this trail also...

Have you investigated the whereabouts of the pack of 'yotes were heard during that first weekend of turk season?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Have you investigated the whereabouts of the pack of 'yotes were heard during that first weekend of turk season?

Yeah, but no luck. You wouldn't believed how thick it is down there now. This is just over the bill hill from where the birds worked on Sunday.