Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Truck Leveling

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I really wasn't sure where to put this, so I figured "projects and crafts" would be best.

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I probably was better with tools when I was a kid working on my bike than I am now as an adult. When I first bought my truck I installed step tubes... that was a major accomplishment for me. Lol!
I enjoyed doing it though.

Anyway... I've been looking into a leveling kit for my truck. I guess I'm never satisfied. I have a 2011 Ram 1500 and was curious if this is wise thing to do. I'm also thinking of a wider wheel stance with fender flares.
I guess my questions are:

1. How hard is it to do?
2. How will it effect my warranty?
3. How will it effect my gas mileage?
4. Will it make that much of a difference appearance wise?
5. Will it effect the ride?
6. Am I crazy?

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I have a friend that bought a new 2003 Dodge and he cranked on the torsion bars and got it pretty level. If I remember right, I think he complained of front tire wear after that. Put it in the AIR! Good luck.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's funny you mention front tire wear. What really got my wheels turning on this is a truck I followed into a parking lot yesterday. It was an F-150 that wasn't jacked up, but had the widers stance I'm looking for. He said he had a leveling kit added that gave it a slight lift and the rims he got from Summit racing. Anyway, as I was talking to him I noticed his front tires looked like shit. I didn't ask him about it because I didn't want to insult him. It could have been coincidence, but they sure were worn funny.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
1. How hard is it to do?

Not terribly, but I ain't a mechanic either. If you know someone with the tools and know how, buy them some beer and have them walk you through it...

2. How will it effect my warranty?

Call Dodge. It did not on our 2011 F-150's. But that was just the 2" leveling kit in the front...

3. How will it effect my gas mileage?

The tires is what will kill you here. I went from 17 to 14 with the Nittos...

4. Will it make that much of a difference appearance wise?

In all honesty, my truck doesn't look much different than the guy who put the kit on. I'll snap some pics real quick and show you here in a few...

5. Will it effect the ride?

Tires will have more to do here than the leveling kit. Knowing the driving you do, I'm gonna say it won't to the point you'll notice it after a week or two...

6. Am I crazy?

Fuck no man. Lift that thing!!!

And FWIW, I rotate my tires every other oil change. It's a constant process...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
It's funny you mention front tire wear. What really got my wheels turning on this is a truck I followed into a parking lot yesterday. It was an F-150 that wasn't jacked up, but had the widers stance I'm looking for. He said he had a leveling kit added that gave it a slight lift and the rims he got from Summit racing. Anyway, as I was talking to him I noticed his front tires looked like shit. I didn't ask him about it because I didn't want to insult him. It could have been coincidence, but they sure were worn funny.

Did he have real aggressive tires?

From guys I talk to, if you have really super aggressive tires you have to rotate because they wear quite a bit when doing a lot of highway driving.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Did he have real aggressive tires?

From guys I talk to, if you have really super aggressive tires you have to rotate because they wear quite a bit when doing a lot of highway driving.

Probably more aggressive than I will buy. In my younger days I'd have gone with aggressive biters not realizing the little life span. Nowadays, I'm looking for the best wearing A/T tire.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Same trucks, except the clean one has a shorter bed and 2" leveling kit in the front. Both are sitting on Nitto Trail Grappler LT 285/65R18's.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337624400.509477.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337624441.043003.jpg

Believe it or not, the clean truck sees a lot more off road action than mine. He has the added benefit of additional vertical clearance when wollering in and out of deep holes and over cross drains. I haven't bottomed mine out and as you can see, she saw some good time last week.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Screw that.. I paid good money for my Chevy lean.. Truck leans gangsta style.

ohio
I do that stuff for a living, they aren't bad but they aren't easy, it would take me a couple hours with all the right tools on a lift, lifting it won't affect mpg, and I've lifted over a hundred trucks and never heard of any wobble, unless tires are not balanced properly

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You sure that is 4x4 Cotty? lmao

Don't ask me. I wouldn't pay for a lift kit on the newer trucks. They already ride high enough. Now take a 78 Chevy and it requires a 3-4" kit and oversized tires just to make it look like the current year models. I am adding a set of TImbrens to the rear of my Dodge 3500 this week though. Just seems like I am finding too many loads which are a weeee bit too much for her. I know the suspension isn't worn out at 66k miles either. Just asking a tad too much of her.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I do that stuff for a living, they aren't bad but they aren't easy, it would take me a couple hours with all the right tools on a lift, lifting it won't affect mpg, and I've lifted over a hundred trucks and never heard of any wobble, unless tires are not balanced properly

really? Ive read hundreds of posts of the dodge wobble from leveling it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Torsion crank is the easiest thing to do... You could do that in your driveway. But, if you do it, make SURE you go get the front end realigned or else it'll fugg up your front tires. Some of the newer trucks don't have torsion bars anymore. Jesse's 2011 doesn't have torsion bars, but previous models did. Might wanna check into that. And I don't care what anybody says... a lift or level of any kind WILL affect fuel mileage... There's no way for it NOT to. You're changing the aerodynamics of the truck.

Lift it, Mike... and put some eaters on it! :)