Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Target/Arrow pulling problem

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
This past week I decided to go with a different setup on my X force. I had been using a real light arrow setup which always worked fine for 3d and hunting. But I knew I was pushing the limits of my limbs. So I ugraded from Xweave 200 arows that were maybe 330 grain total weight with tip to a Flatline 340 that total weight is around 410 grain. I also increased my draw from 63lbs to 68lbs. My wife bought me a new 3d target for Christmas but it is a cheaper one. I actually had not shot at it til yesterday morning after I was blowing through the cheaper bag target I have been using. With all the extra weight now I literally used every ounce of muscle I had to get the arrows out. I gave up and decided to sight in at the bow shoot I went to. Even using my buddy's arrow puller was a chore. He thought maybe there was something I could put my arrow into that would make it easier to remove? My wife is the sensitive type that would be offended if I even told her the target was a PIA. Any Idea's?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
What target is it? If its a broadhead only target thats not gonna work.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What size (diameter) field points are you shooting. If they're slightly wider than the O.D. of the arrow shaft it can make pulling them out a real bitch.

Also, I've found that flatlines can be a little tougher to pull from targets than some others. I've had to use an arrow puller a time or two, but I've never had one that was unusually difficult to pull.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have that same arrow puller Dan posted and I use Scorpion arrow lube, put there are still days my cheap 3D target will swallow arrows. IMO, the only fix is a different target...

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I have that same arrow puller Dan posted and I use Scorpion arrow lube, put there are still days my cheap 3D target will swallow arrows. IMO, the only fix is a different target...

I've given these some thought. I called bass pro and they are willing to give me my money on a gift card so I think I'm gonnan upgrade to a mCkenzie. I definitely gonna get some of the scorpion. I do love the arrows though

Redhunter1012,
An easy fix for arrow pulling on a 3D course, is to get a chunk of bar soap and rub it on the front 6" or so of the arrow shaft. This will make a huge difference in pulling the arrows. I've been doing this for years and it works great.

Bowhunter57