Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Death Row

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I decided to put a kill plot on the far side of my lease. The only access to it is by foot. So a couple of friends, my son and I carried in 25 gallons of water, round up, back pack sprayer, camera, video camera, and Monster Raxx Trophy Minerals to freshen the mineral site in almost a mile to try and make Death Row. We sprayed just over half an acre with a potent mix of water, round up, and 2 4 D. In a couple weeks I am going to broadcast seed it, dig in a water tub, and fertilize the apple trees that are right there.

Here is a before pic.
my new spot.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
MRaxx, what are you planning on seeding it with? Do you think one round of spraying will be enough?

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
why did ya use roundup AND 2-4D?

A farmer that I talk to quite a bit about food plots said he thought it would be good for me to add some 2 4 D in with the round up to help kill some of the bigger brush that is growing in there. I trust what he says and did it exactly that way. I will see shortly if that is going to work.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
MRaxx, what are you planning on seeding it with? Do you think one round of spraying will be enough?

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

I am not sure if it will kill every thing with one spraying. I am going back this weekend so if it needs it I am going to spray again.

I am going to plant clover, chickory, brassicas, rape, purple top turnips, carrots, radishes, and sugar beets in there.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
Awesome! Lot of work putting in and maintaining ground that far back in, but hopefully it pays off!

This is how most of the work on this property goes. The farmer does not like us driving anything around including 4 wheelers unless we are getting a deer out. I haul about 1000 pounds of minerals and 2000 pounds of corn in a back pack per year. But I enjoy putting it out and working on ways to improve our hunting land and check trail cameras almost as much as hunting any more.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
A farmer that I talk to quite a bit about food plots said he thought it would be good for me to add some 2 4 D in with the round up to help kill some of the bigger brush that is growing in there. I trust what he says and did it exactly that way. I will see shortly if that is going to work.

Yep farmers around here do that as well, I have a buddy that is a farmer that mixed me up a jug to use around the house, burns up anything it comes in contact with!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Farmers and chemicals are a scarey proposition...Roundup alone works just fine.. they probably mix because of the constant use of roundup they have become resistant to it somewhat...the cocktail he prescribed for you is called "coveryourass" spray...you don't really need it...roundup kills everything and 2 4 D is a broadleaf only selector..

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Farmers and chemicals are a scarey proposition...Roundup alone works just fine.. they probably mix because of the constant use of roundup they have become resistant to it somewhat...the cocktail he prescribed for you is called "coveryourass" spray...you don't really need it...roundup kills everything and 2 4 D is a broadleaf only selector..

I agree, just seems that with this "homemade" mix versus an off the shelf spray of any kind, I don't get the grow back like I used to. Shit stays dead all year. But I guess I've never used just roundup and mixed it myself either...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I agree, just seems that with this "homemade" mix versus an off the shelf spray of any kind, I don't get the grow back like I used to. Shit stays dead all year. But I guess I've never used just roundup and mixed it myself either...

the key to any spray is to get the weeds before the seeds generate...roundup kills them dead as 2 4 d will except grasses... i use 2-4 d in my yard...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Yep...

the key to any spray is to get the weeds before the seeds generate...roundup kills them dead as 2 4 d will except grasses... i use 2-4 d in my yard...

annnnndddd yep.

Kind of a waste of money to mix 2-4d with roundup, IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you have heavy brush, you are going to need Crossbow or the generic versions of it. Haven't bought any for a few years but it was around $63/gal then and I was buying 4 of the 2.5gal jugs at a time.

You sure the farmer didn't mix you up some RoundUp and diesel Drake? That will kill them dead and keep them out for a good long time. I have never sprayed it, but have been told by several people it works well. I might take their word for it, but I am not going to try it.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Nope it wasn't diesel, I watched him mix it. I swear he said 24D but I could be wrong. It was very similar in texture and color as the round up, and I don't think he put in as much as he did of the round up.