Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This morning in Florida...

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
I hunted a new ranch today. 6800 acres owned by the mormons. They own huge land down here. My buddy has a lease there and he invited me out. Roy had climbed into his stand and said, "your stand is about 300 yards due east and 30 yards north of a feeder." Well, I went to find the feeder and unknown to me I walked in on about 20 hogs before light. I was right on top of them before they figured out I was there. They went crashing and snorting into the woods in the dark while I stood there sharting. It scared the living daylights out of me since I had no idea I had walked up on them. They are so freaking loud! It's not like bumping a deer. Deer kind of bound off gracefully. I've bumped many of them in my years of deer hunting...hogs sound like you ran an f150 through the woods. They crash and smash everything in sight. It was so loud. I found my stand (80 yards from the feeder) about 10 minutes after I soiled myself (figuratively). Anyway, everywhere I hunt has coyotes. In 15 years of hunting I have never seen one while on stand. I know, hard to believe. This morning as I was watching two sand hill cranes (they are protected birds down here) bark as loud as hell, just like they always do...I was thinking to myself, "Man, I wish I could shoot those stupid birds." Well, out of a fence row pops two yotes. They hung between 60 and 80 yards out harassing the cranes (never offering me a shot within bow range). The cranes fought them off by yelling and running at them. It was quite the show and lasted about 15 minutes. It reminded me why I hunt. It was a great morning...no deer or hogs, but an amazing encounter with 2 yotes. Absolutely a great morning hunt.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Man.. Makes me miss hunting in old Dixie. Great Story...

These flat land farm deer here in ohio got my head a spinning... I watched a nice buck last night in the beans.. Thought to myself.. Now.. Just how the hell am I going to kill that sucker.. I have to somehow get him in bow range.. Hmmm... Sure was easier back home in the flat delta.... I could just lay a rifle over the hood and drill his ass, legally too. And if he somehow beat me, and made it to the woods. Well, just dump the deer dogs out of the box and run his as back out here. LOL..

badger

*Supporting Member*
I've bumped many of them in my years of deer hunting...hogs sound like you ran an f150 through the woods. They crash and smash everything in sight. It was so loud.

You can say that again. Put an arrow in a hog when you have twenty or so around ya and it gets real loud! Especially if you are on the ground, up close and personal with them.

By the way I enjoyed the story. Sounds like a great morning to me, keep them coming!