Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Got him back.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This deer's horns would have probably wound up nailed on the barn if he hadn't been so dang pretty. He has a red cape and skull cap, and a little bit of a double throat patch. He's a nice deer, and I'd shoot him again...but I don't reckon he scores well. I originally figured he was 3 1/2, but then I found pics of him from the previous season, and he looked pretty much the same...so I don't know how old he was, but he isn't getting any older.

Attachments

• Madison-20120518-00030.jpg
    Madison-20120518-00030.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Madison-20120518-00029.jpg
    Madison-20120518-00029.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Madison-20120518-00031.jpg
    Madison-20120518-00031.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 207

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks, guys. I went to a different taxidermist this time around, as the one I've been using for the last 15+ years sorta ticked me off last year. I shopped around a good bit, and thought I found one I really liked. He does a lot of really good work, but I don't think this deer is an example of that. I guess I may have to get over my issue with my old taxidermist and just go back. Dang.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't care for the way the nose is "flared", and the eyes just seem kinda funny to me. When I get around to it I may post some pics of some others that I do like...they just look like deer should. I don't think this one is horrible, I just think it could be better. Many of the deer in his shop (and Kudu, and cape buffalo, and bobcats, and turkeys, and rabbits, and...the lis is long) look fantastic. This one just doesn't meet the grade IMO. Heck, maybe I killed a funny looking deer. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You guys don't think it looks a little weird?

I don't think he did a horrible job, I just don't think it was great. In fact I don't think it's good enough to get me back as a customer. I don't have overly-high expectations when hunting around here...I really don't, and I wasn't disappointed when I walked up on the deer. Heck, he was big enough in November and is big enough today. I only wish he looked as he did when I shot him, and I am not referring to ground shrinkage! I haven't been disappointed in a mount since the first that I had done in 84 or so, and maybe disappointment is too strong a term...I just expected it to look a little better because of the other work I'd seen this fella do. It's not a big deal I suppose. He's done, and home, and in a week or so I will have to dust him. :)

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm sure you are right, Cotty. Thing is, I don't show many folks my deer, and I look at 'em as I walk by everyday. As you said, no biggie and I am sure I will stop nit-picking the thing in a day or two. I should probably worry more about getting him up on a wall than looking it over up close. I just got up close and personal with some of the others, and I guess I can see things I don't like about any of 'em. Stupid on my part I suppose. One thing is for sure, the guy did a lot better job than I would have!:)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Brock, I can't tell much off my iPhone but I'll check on the pc this weekend. I am one who does care about detail. Thats what we pay for. Up at the D&T show this year I saw many deer I would have been embarrassed to display as an owner of or most importantly as the artist(taxi) of. We pay hard earned money for our critters,in this case deer, no matter the rack size it's up to the taxi to bring it back to life. If they can't, then they shouldn't do it. I'm very impressed with what whitetailspecialties has posted on here, and that's the way it should be. Derry Null does mine and his policy is "if your not happy, then I'm not happy". If you don't like it I don't know what recourse you have with this guy but to just let him know how you feel and just not go back to him. If he is in it to keep your business he should redo it to your satisfaction.

I'm with Beener though, I'd like to see more close up pics but only you know what it looked like after you caught it. Lol

I do like the bucks color.

Last edited: