Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Intersting coyote problem

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I hate coyotes. I think that has been well established. I got a phone call today from a buddy of mine ( he is helping me coach Mason's baseball team). He owns Holly Hills hunting preserve which is just outside of town. They primarily shoot birds out there, but he also has a 100 acre enclosure where they used to do high fence deer hunts. They aren't doing that anymore, but still have some dandy bucks running around in there and a resident population of does. Anyway, over the last few days, coyotes have killed 3 deer that he knows of...and the enclosure is wooded, hilly, and not conducive to keeping track of what is really going on. The three he has found were right up front and in plain view! Anyway, I am going out to set snares for him tomorrow. He tried to kill 'em last night, but missed. There were three - feeding on what he called " a hell of a buck" that they had killed the day before. So, anyone that would like to try their hand at coyote killin'; here's an open invite. He wants 'em dead, and I don't know how much help I am going to be. The property is just east of Greenfield for anyone wanting to make a trip.

I'd like to join your "war party", but I've got my own coyote population issues. The groundhogs seems to be disappearing on a daily basis and the deer aren't far behind them. I'm in Allen county and a buddy of mine to the east in Hardin county said he seen a coyote running across the road with a fawn in his mouth. :smiley_boos:

I hope you kill every last one of them! Good luck!
Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Haven't a clue if we got any or not yet...haven't spoken with my buddy since we set the snares. I'm sure I'll find out tomorrow.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I do the same as JD. duh. Lol. Once I know what's there I move them around to maybe pinpoint those bucks. But I always keep one or two to throw in spots I may have overlooked. Spots I may have not thought worthy early on I will circle back and put a cam there jus to see. Stranger things have happened and those overlooked spots can produce weary deer. We've all heard the stories of big bucks killed in places we think are downright dumb.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I do the same as JD. duh. Lol. Once I know what's there I move them around to maybe pinpoint those bucks. But I always keep one or two to throw in spots I may have overlooked. Spots I may have not thought worthy early on I will circle back and put a cam there jus to see. Stranger things have happened and those overlooked spots can produce weary deer. We've all heard the stories of big bucks killed in places we think are downright dumb.

You sure are having issues putting posts in the right thread these days!!! lmao