Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How many turkey decoys do you use?

I used to use a hen and a jake. Now, I'm going with safety in numbers or something simular to what's used with waterfowl field sets. I've got a strutting tom, a jake and 4 hens. It'll be interesting to see their response to "the flock", but may have to cut back the numbers.

The last time I was out, the 3 toms that came in spotted my jake and strutting tom and were instantly pissed and were in a quick approach to kick some butt...or at least investigate what those turkeys were doing in their area.

What has been your experiences with turkey decoys?
How many do you use? Hens? Jakes? Toms?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I don't ever put out more than a Jake and 2 hens. Usually when I use decoys I only put out 1 hen and most of the time I use no decoys at all.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have tried many scenarios. If I know there is a dominant tom in the area then I like to put out 2 hens with a Montana strutting tom deke. The dominant birds come running in to challenge that deke almost every time, especially earlier in the season. If I am still hunting later in the season I might just put out a jake with 2 hens....it seems every tom that's left will think he can still woop a jake's butt and will come in to look at him. Most of the birds I have killed over decoys have been in the first week of the season though. Both of the birds I killed this year were shot without using decoys. Some decoys seem to scare away birds late in the season.

Good luck.

Big H

Medina
I don't ever put out more than a Jake and 2 hens. Usually when I use decoys I only put out 1 hen and most of the time I use no decoys at all.

I carry a hen and a jake decoy. I can't remember the last time I used that jake decoy in my vest. The only time I use a decoy and it is normally a single hen, is if I am blind calling close to a field or decent opening in the woods. Otherwise, I don't use them.