Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hen Gobble.. (Video added)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not sure what's going on around Clark but Alex and I went out hunting both mornings this weekend.. Sat morning we went to an area where there have been two toms.. No roost gobbles, nothing.. We did a little run and gun and came across a Hen who responded.. We sat and called at her in a pissing match for 20 min or so.. Not a gobble.. She must have been on a nest as she never moved. But if there was a tom anywhere he would have gobbled even if his mouth was glued shut..

Sunday morning we went to a new spot we hadn't hunted yet.. Virgin ground. Again, not a single roost gobble.. Again we managed to get three hens fired up. One of them more than the others.. After about 10 min or so she flew to the field pissed as holy hell.. She yelped, purred and cut up a storm. Alex and I was calling right back at her.. She walked in to about 15 feet and walked back and forth looking in the woods for that bitch hen.. Then it happened. She gobbled.. It sounds like a really fast cutting / yelp Just like a tom but without the chuckle.. I thought "No Way" then looked over at her and she threw her head out straight like a tom and gobbled again... The best part is we have it on film. I was trying to run the camera and a slate I was behind and to the side of alex and was trying to get her in his lap.. Closest she got was about 10 feet.

If anything it's very good for calling help to hear what she sounds like. . Not so much what alex was doing as he was just making yelping sounds with his mouth. lmao He didn't have his diaphragm in when she flew to the field and couldn't run the slate with her that close.

here is the video.

[video=youtube;9LCxd1wjCQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LCxd1wjCQk[/video]

Anyways. Back on topic.. That hen was super receptive.. Not a Tom around.. We even did some run and gun until about 10 and couldn't get a single gobble. Seems the toms have just quit.

Last edited:

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I called one in 15 or so years ago on WNF and she gobbled a half dozen times and she never did pop into full strut, like on Mrex's video's, but she did fan her tail out (toward the ground) and swell up for just a second or two. That is a cool pic and I can't wait to hear her on the video.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I just posted something about a hen gobble on Dales (Hunt for Zack) post. Thats hillarious. I get a call saying, " what doesn't have a beard or spurs, and gobbles"...I was waiting for the punch line LOL

I said, maybe it was a tranny turkey hahahahaha

I never heard of that until Dale and Denny told me about it. Wish I could have seen it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I called one in 15 or so years ago on WNF and she gobbled a half dozen times and she never did pop into full strut, like on Mrex's video's, but she did fan her tail out (toward the ground) and swell up for just a second or two. That is a cool pic and I can't wait to hear her on the video.

She did puff up a couple times. But never fanned out. Ole girl was pissed.

badger

*Supporting Member*
I just posted something about a hen gobble on Dales (Hunt for Zack) post. Thats hillarious. I get a call saying, " what doesn't have a beard or spurs, and gobbles"...I was waiting for the punch line LOL

I said, maybe it was a tranny turkey hahahahaha

I never heard of that until Dale and Denny told me about it. Wish I could have seen it.

I'm still amazed, and I was there for the tranny bird!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This hen was so fit to be tied that after messing with her for a while alex farted and she never blinked an eye.. Just kept looking for that other bitch in the bushes.. lol

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
You'll see that my phenomenal true turkey mouth call gets her fired up. I feel like a turkey whisperer. It was a very emotional bonding moment between us. I'll relay the video this evening to Joe.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You'll see that my phenomenal true turkey mouth call gets her fired up. I feel like a turkey whisperer. It was a very emotional bonding moment between us. I'll relay the video this evening to Joe.

Ohhhh horse hockey.. You know It was because I can run a slate like Slash runs a Gibson Les Paul. lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
F'n hilarious!!! :smiley_clap:

That "gobble" sounds more like the raptors for Jurassic Park!!!

Then she stepped on a frog.. When she went back to the left we scared her off away from the woods.. I wish i was still running the cam.. All she did was go 20 yards further in the weeds and stand there and cut.. Even with us standing in the field 50 yards away she was still looking for that hen..