Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thinking about Trapping

Gump

New to the site. I am thinking about getting started in trapping. I have been looking and reading about the Dukes dog proof traps, does anybody use them? And beong new to trapping, the only place I have to trap is public hunting lands, does any one trap public hunting aerea?

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Welcome to the site I don't know much about the duke dog proof but I have been thinking about getting some for this year. Don't be afraid to ask some farmers for permission to trap. I find that most are a lot more receptive to allow trapping than they are towards deer hunters.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I find that most are a lot more receptive to allow trapping than they are towards deer hunters.

especially if they have livestock that is threatened by a predator like a coyote. good way to open the door for deer hunting too.

welcome to the site.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The Duke DP's are your best bang for the buck.

Have to agree and especially handy on public ground where people may bring their family dog for a stroll. Mine was not Dukes but they was another brand made the same way and worked just fine for the racoon. I had one with both paws in the trap but the best one was the coon I had that was stuck in there by 2 toes. Easy to setup and anchor and limits the non target animals from getting caught.

Here is the page I had put up and showed how I had sacured them. http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?2636-Landowner-requests/page7

Check out the entire forum and check out that thread when you get time. Welcome to the site.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to the site Gump! No help on the trapping, but there are plenty of guys here with knowledge to get you started.

Diablo54

Outside
I think we had 75 sets to check each morning from nov to february. We started everyday at 4am finished at about 7. Busted balls the whole time doing it.