Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

bad dog!!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
wasnt sure which forum to put this in. I was turkey hunting and ended up shooting a yote.

My plan was to hunt a pasture this morning. I got there to find the grass was waist tall. I went ahead and set up anyway. This spot is actually on a brushline between to pastures. to the north is a wooded ridge. the two pastures are divided north to south by a brushy slope that goes down the hill to an old gate between the two pastures. I put my decoys out about 30 yards into the west pasture so that they could be seen from either side. (I use the word "seen" lightly, the grass was so tall you couldnt hardly see them anyway)

As the sun rose I started calling. nothing. My thought was that with the grass being so tall the turkeys wouldnt be able to see the decoys anyway. and even if they did come in I wouldnt be able to see then anyway. I was considering moving when I heard a snap behind and to the right of me at about 4 oclock. I turned to see a coyote standing there about 10 to 12 yards from me looking at me.

I was facing the wrong way but tried to spin around any way, he didnt move. I got my body turned around and started to raise my gun. He took a step back but didnt run away. I dont think he knew what I was. My gun was raised and the front bead was on his face. He lowered his head to sniff the ground and I let the thunderstick bark.

yes that is actually my shell stuck in his nugget. Those number 6s keep a good pattern at 12 yards! there was actually enough energy delivered to make an exit wound about the size of a half dollar at the base of his skull.

I think he was on the ridge to my north and heard my calls. when he spotted the decoys in the pasture he tried sneaking in along the brushline to get closer to them and ended up right in my lap. If nothing else i might have stumbled onto a new coyote hunting tactic, using turkey decoys and calls.

If any of you guys want to help clear out some of these coyotes, let me or redcloud know. there are plenty of them here and we havent had any luck with them, other than chance encounters like this one.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I would say it is or at least a litter mate. Look to be about the same size and the face looks the same.

Might have to wait until after turkey season and see if I can get some turkey calls for the ecaller and try and call them in that way since they don't seem to come in to other yotes lol. I still want to put the hammer on the big male out there but his bitch would be just as good lol.

Last edited:

Diablo54

Outside
I would ay it is or at least a littler mate. Look to be about the same size and the face looks the same.

Might have to wait until after turkey season and see if I can get some turkey calls for the ecaller and try and call them in that way since they don't seem to come in to other yotes lol. I still want to put the hammer on the big male out there but his bitch would be just as good lol.

Te female will e a better one to get. As soon as you take the male a new one will move in.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Whatever it takes Dave! One at a time, snaring, shooting, calling, arrowing. . . .whatever it takes buddy!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I've had them run in on me calling before but haven't been quick enough with the gun. Good work!

Thats why you need the young and dumb ones lol.

I bet if the one Dave shot would have been another year older he wouldn't have been able to move without it bolting off back into the woods. The big male and the female that's out there you wouldn't get a chance at. As soon as they see you they would take off and never see them again. That dog looks like a youngin from last springs litter (and only 3 survivors from the den accident) and a little on the hungry side since being kicked out of the home with the mom having new litter of pups.