Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So I bought an Elite GT500 today. . .

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, sometimes we go through the grocery store and make an impulse purchase. You know, a pack of gum, a silly tabloid magazine or candy bar. Uh huh, I did it with a GT500 today.

This is a bare bones bow other than a cheap stabilizer that was on it. Supposed to be one season on new strings. Vaportrail strings I think he said. Outside of this, I have a blank canvas to work with.

Keep in mind, I intend on letting Milo go through this bow. He can tweak it, tune it, and dial it in for me. I am willing to pay for service when I know it will be money well spent. It makes it even better knowing my money will go to a fellow TOO brother.

Rest? I have a Ripcord on my Hoyt. I like it. Any suggestions on why I should change? Don't get me wrong, I am open to suggestions. I am not overly partial to Ripcord rests. Quite honestly I thought it was a bit steep in price, but it hasn't failed me so far.

Sight? Currently have a Sword Twilight Hunter sight on my Hoyt. I like it, but there again, I am open to suggestions. I do have an issue being right handed yet left eye dominant. For this reason, I feel I need something that shows up fairly well, yet isn't overly bright. I did see a sight in the last D&DH magazine which showcased a peep eliminator sight. I need to look up the name, but basically it lined up like rifle sights. I liked the idea, but I am curious as to other input from you guys about it.

Trying to think if I am missing anything? I really want to keep it simple. Nothing exotic, but willing to spend some money to have a second bow dialed in and ready to hunt. I am thinking of using the Elite for early season hunts. It should enable me to take some longer shots and I do not intend on lowering the poundage like I have on my Hoyt. I am thinking of using the Hoyt when it is colder since I already have the poundage reduced to 64lbs.

Here are the pictures. She is not a creme puff, but she should hunt. Plenty of battle scars, but then again, this is why I am not afraid to take it out and use the snot out of it!

Attachments

• GT500 2.jpg
    GT500 2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 286
  • GT500 3.jpg
    GT500 3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 246
  • GT500 1.jpg
    GT500 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 231
  • GT500.jpg
    GT500.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 249
  • GT500 4.jpg
    GT500 4.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 264

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Great impulse buy IMO Phil! That is one sweet shooting bow, and you should easily be shooting 300fps with a 29" draw at 70lbs and a 400gr arrow!

As far as dressing her with equipment, I could try and pimp what I use and get you to jump on the band wagon, but you already have good equipment, and if it hasn't failed you and you are happy with it, what is the sense in dropping more on new stuff? It's not gonna make you shoot any better, only look better when you nail a tree on the 3D course next month! LMAO

Milo will get you tuned up and shooting. If I were you, I wouldn't drop a dime more on it unless you had to. You just bought a sweet hunting rig for one hell of a price!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Great buy Phil!

I would look into the Limb Driver rests. I am extremely happy with mine and Milo has worked on a lot of them. SIMPLE to tune. The only other rest I would consider at this point is the Trophy Taker Smackdown but the new version is not out yet.

How is the draw compared to your Vector?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
that is a frickin score hicks...i have my favorites for sure and im a fan of the limbdriver on these bows. sights are a personal preference...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Beener- hard to compare. Pull is stiff, but consistently stiff until u hit the wall. You know without a doubt when you find the wall. LoL. There doesn't seem to be any humps, soft spots, or change in pull until you hit the wall. Seems weird. The Hoyt seems like you have a 3 story wall to climb right out of the gate, then downhill to the wall. Does that make sense?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Flutie- I have to drop some coin unless I strip my Hoyt. Plan is to have 2 dialed in going into the season. Not sure I'm going to like the longer axle to axle to be honest.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Beener- hard to compare. Pull is stiff, but consistently stiff until u hit the wall. You know without a doubt when you find the wall. LoL. There doesn't seem to be any humps, soft spots, or change in pull until you hit the wall. Seems weird. The Hoyt seems like you have a 3 story wall to climb right out of the gate, then downhill to the wall. Does that make sense?

That's what I like about the Elite line. The pull is very consistent until it breaks over. There's no building to breaking point, just a consistent pull.

Flutie- I have to drop some coin unless I strip my Hoyt. Plan is to have 2 dialed in going into the season. Not sure I'm going to like the longer axle to axle to be honest.

If that is the case, like others said, check out the Limb Driver Rests. They are easy to tune, and if something happens in the field, you can fix the rest yourself without having to go to a shop to have it set back up.

As far as sights, it all depends what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend. A sight with micro-tuning is a big plus IMO, as it makes it a hell of a lot easier to dial everything in when you are getting close.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Oh my gosh, I haven't shopped for a sight since I bought my last one in 2009. I can't imagine much has changed though. Could be wrong. Any thoughts on the rifled style sights? I was thinking since I am forced to close one eye (I refuse to wear an eye patch) I might like them. With the eye dominance issue, closing the left eye is my only option. I thought it might help with torquing the bow as well. I dunno. Probably just go with another 5 pin sight though unless someone has a real strong argument as to why I should shoot rifled sights. I like the idea, just not completely sold on them.

Limb Driver eh? What are we looking at for options here? Multiple choices? I really don't shoot much 3D unless we have a TOO get together I am able to attend. I am also not one of these guys that shoots weekly until around August. I won't lie to you guys. Once I am dialed in, I like to keep it simple. Shoot half dozen arrows to verify I am still dialed in and hunt. I find by shooting more I screw myself up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just looked up the Limb Driver Pro V. I like the looks of it and it is highly recommended by you guys. Amazon had them $119 free shipping. Good deal?

Huckleberry Finn

I thought it might help with torquing the bow as well. I dunno.

I am also not one of these guys that shoots weekly until around August. I won't lie to you guys. Once I am dialed in, I like to keep it simple. Shoot half dozen arrows to verify I am still dialed in and hunt. I find by shooting more I screw myself up.

Milo will break you of torquing.

The good thing is that a new bow should give you the motivation to shoot before August...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Milo will break you of torquing.

The good thing is that a new bow should give you the motivation to shoot before August...

I am not horrible on torquing. I have always bought a sight with a level and part of my release routine is verifying the bubble is not canted to either side. Since I have not been doing this too awfully long, I have tried to correct bad form before it becomes habit. Just thought anything to prevent torquing or bad habits would be a plus.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congrats on the purchase, Phil... You won't be disappointed!

One more vote for the Limbdriver rests. Easy to set up and about as dependable as it gets. When it comes to sights, the sky is the limit... You can spend 40 bucks on something simple, or spend 240 bucks on a bomb-proof micro-adjustable cadillac... That's a matter of budget and personal preference. I'm a huge fan of the Axcel Armortech sights, but theya are a bit on the pricey side.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will need to chat with Doc Milo before I drop any coin. Ripcord or Limb Driver? Either one create issues with mounting on the Elite GT500s? If not, I don't suppose it matters either way. I might save $20 going with the Ripcord, but in the big scheme of things I am not going to miss $20 if I get 2-4yrs of service out of it. If Doc Milo says spend an extra $20, then I will go the Limb Driver route.

Sights: Okay, I will narrow it down a bit. I don't necessarily want a $20 sight, but I really don't want to drop more on the sight than I have in the bow. How about this: Best recommendation you have for a sight in the $80-120 range? I have a 5 pin, lighted sight, with level envisioned for myself. Maybe this will narrow it down a little.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will need to chat with Doc Milo before I drop any coin. Ripcord or Limb Driver? Either one create issues with mounting on the Elite GT500s? If not, I don't suppose it matters either way. I might save $20 going with the Ripcord, but in the big scheme of things I am not going to miss $20 if I get 2-4yrs of service out of it. If Doc Milo says spend an extra $20, then I will go the Limb Driver route.

Sights: Okay, I will narrow it down a bit. I don't necessarily want a $20 sight, but I really don't want to drop more on the sight than I have in the bow. How about this: Best recommendation you have for a sight in the $80-120 range? I have a 5 pin, lighted sight, with level envisioned for myself. Maybe this will narrow it down a little.

In that price range, a brand new Sword Twilight Hunter would be right up your alley. All in all Sword makes a decent sight... I'm just not a huge fan of the pins and the pin tracks on the twilight hunter.

hickslawns,
Sights are a personal choice. I have a QAD LD rest that's very reliable, easy to set up and affordable. I'm thinking it was less than $90. Just make sure you get the LD (lock down) feature on the model of QAD rest that you purchase. A very durable drop away style rest that the forks stay up on if you decide not to shoot and let the bow down. It's also a full containment rest. Even Cabelas sells the Pro model for $115, so you should be able to purchase one for less at a pro shop.

The Elite bows are lightning fast and hard hitters as hunting bows. Should be a killer, whether for hunting or 3D.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good point BH57! My Ripcord does not stay up if you let down on the bow. Limb Driver Pro V stay up?

JB- I have a Twilight Hunter on my Hoyt. I know what you are saying. Not a bad sight though. Nothing I can't tolerate. The pins don't bother me, but the pin tracks are not overly impressive. Get what you pay for I guess. I just can't see me dropping a couple hundred on a sight. I could see a $40 Truglo from Walmart going on there before a $240 sights. lmao

This is going to be my beater bow! You know the guy with the old Nova in school? Half primer and half the factory green, one door an orange junkyard special, deep dish Cragers on the rear, painted gray ralleye wheels in the front but that Nova was the baddest car in the parking lot? It breathed fire and despite it being ugly, you put your money on this car to win every weekend! This is sort of how I envision the GT500. Fits the part too since it is rough around the edges.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The LD doesn't need to stay up because it is always full containment unless you get the older style. The Pro-V is full containment.