Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for rifle for FIL.....

twireman

Kingston, OH
Ok so my FIL has absolutely been working his ass off on our house remodel. Laying tile finishing drywall, electic work and all kinds of other stuff. He says he loves doing it and wants nothing in return.
I want to get him something nice he can keep forever. In passing he states he would like to have a "big" rifle in his arsenal. Not for any real reason just to have it if he ever hunted anything "big" or to just shoot long range. I suppose around 500 bucks would be my "limit" and looking at a .308 or .300 win mag. Need some advice since I dont' have ton's of experience with bigger calibers. Savage? Remington? Ruger?

twireman

Kingston, OH
To be honest I don't know. He's a burly redneck down to earth christian type feller. Biggest hands I've ever seen. Busch light and copenhagen suit him best. Put's himself before others EVERYTIME.

He doesn't reload but I'd say two boxes of ammo would last awhile. I'd like to find a blue/walnut gun for him but would opt for stainless for the right gun. Not real picky. Just want a nice thank you gift.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'd look at any of the "big" name bolt guns. Really consider 30-06, plenty of gun for anything in NA except maybe brown bears, lots of chooses on ammo for someone that doesn't reload.

Sounds like to got yourself a great fil

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Twireman...what part of the state are u located?...I know a gun shop owner that is VERY reasonably priced! If he doesn't have it he can get it.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I will see what is around on the used shelves. Plenty of good new guns in that range but not many real wood stocked guns in that price range. Used you may be able to get a gun and a scope ;)

twireman

Kingston, OH
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345896850.623125.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345896867.193987.jpg

He got his Leupold 4-12x40 mounted up and we shot a few times last night. The bottom three are the final group. The lines are 1". This was at 100 yards. He was pretty excited about it overall.