Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food plots, Wildlife Consulting, MORE

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Hey guys! I am new on here, but love to hunt. I am on many sites, and just wanted to get on this one to join and talk hunting. I also am posting a link to a company I work for, but I plan to be around on this site to talk hunting with you all.

http://www.racks-n-spurs.com/

Please take a look at the site to see what we do! I look foreword to talking with you guys!

Safe hunting!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got to meet Bill Peneston one time while on a visit to Hocking years ago. He seemed like a decent guy... extremely knowledgeable. Can I ask, what happened with Heartland?

BTW, welcome to the site.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Welcome buddy. Stick around. Lots of great guys here. I look forward to your posts.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I got to meet Bill Peneston one time while on a visit to Hocking years ago. He seemed like a decent guy... extremely knowledgeable. Can I ask, what happened with Heartland?

BTW, welcome to the site.

JBbrown, Bill is a great guy I am happy you have got to meet him. Nothing happened with heartland, it is still a great company and bill is still very much affiliated with them. This is just more him branching out and using his skills to help others a bit more.

He did work on my farm, and we actually used a lot of heartland products. However, if people want to use other stuff for one reason or another they can.

This is not just a food plotting company, as you said bill is very intelligent, especially when it comes to deer! He can tell you everything from good trees to hinge cut, or cut down to actually coming in and doing it for you.

Hope you all enjoyed the read, and please any questions feel free to PM me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JBbrown, Bill is a great guy I am happy you have got to meet him. Nothing happened with heartland, it is still a great company and bill is still very much affiliated with them. This is just more him branching out and using his skills to help others a bit more.

He did work on my farm, and we actually used a lot of heartland products. However, if people want to use other stuff for one reason or another they can.

This is not just a food plotting company, as you said bill is very intelligent, especially when it comes to deer! He can tell you everything from good trees to hinge cut, or cut down to actually coming in and doing it for you.

Hope you all enjoyed the read, and please any questions feel free to PM me.

Glad to hear you guys are all about the total package. Food plotting is only a minor portion of total wildlife management, IMO.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Glad to hear you guys are all about the total package. Food plotting is only a minor portion of total wildlife management, IMO.

Jb I totally agree! I will respond more in depth later when I get a chance, but food plotting can be HUGE OR MINMAL effect all depends on the surronding area.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
JB as I was saying, I think that plots are super helpful in areas such as my farm where there is very little ag around. Clover plots can produce a lot of tonnage, and are mostly protein for the deer. I love giving deer good protein. I think that is the most important for antler growth, and health of the herd.

Then you get into bedding which is SUPER important, without proper bedding you will not hold deer let alone any good bucks. This is where the hinge cutting comes in and can make a huge difference is the survival of those 125 that you want to make it!

We also do waterhole installation which can really help your odds especially early in the season to get those big bucks coming in for a drink.

We do a lot more too, but just some of my opinions on things and a taste of what we do.

Safe Hunting.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
why hinge cut honestly, log it out and leave the tops for cover. That never made any sense to me. make the money while you can and allow the under canopy to develop.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
why hinge cut honestly, log it out and leave the tops for cover. That never made any sense to me. make the money while you can and allow the under canopy to develop.

Very good point, and we do have a direct connection to a great forester who will give you a good price and do the job right. However hinge cutting it nice for small trees especially that dont ever really have any value. I do it a lot in areas that are decently thick, and then I go in hinge them all and make it twice as thick! It is just an option, to each his own tho.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
If I recall you are over on OS. At least that is where I first remember seeing you. Welcome to the world of TOO. I am sure you will see some familiar names if you stick around.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
If I recall you are over on OS. At least that is where I first remember seeing you. Welcome to the world of TOO. I am sure you will see some familiar names if you stick around.

Yes, I am from that website. I already seem to recall a lot of names on here. I really like this site so far. Seems like a lot less arguing which in my opinion is a great thing!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I didn't want to say anything up front to see if you realized. There definitely is a lot less petty stuff going on over here, because we don't put up with it. This place is basically member ran and the mods just keep it up and running. People start causing a bunch of crap they get called on the carpet and respectfully told to.stop or pack their stuff and don't look back. Basically a lot of the quality from OS is now here. Feel free to stick around and post some good stories. Glad to have you around.

If I recall you are from the north east area of the state aren't you?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yes, I am from that website. I already seem to recall a lot of names on here. I really like this site so far. Seems like a lot less arguing which in my opinion is a great thing!

Nope. Amazing the camaraderie that can happen when your core members are allowed to set the tone for the site vs power trip moderators who instigate as much as they moderate. And owners who don't censor their members because they pander to a 50 different sponsors opinions. We barely cover the bills each month but we're rich beyond dreams with member knowledge and friendships.