Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Is it too late to get a 2nd turkey?

I just picked up a dozen arrows and sighted them in with my bow. I've been thinking about going out after a 2nd turkey with my bow. There should be enough foilage to conceal me while I draw. Since the season's open until the 20th and we can hunt all day, it gives a guy some hope. :smiley_chinrub:

What would you do?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good to know. I haven't gotten one to gobble since a month before the season came in when I was coyote hunting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It's never too late. I'm still trying to kill my first bird and having a great time in the process. Goodluck BH57.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I have yet to kill a turkey after the first week. Came close two years ago, but most of the time I don't even hear a gobble.

twireman

Kingston, OH
You can definitely still kill a turkey. With all day hunting now if you can find the roost site your chances really rise to kill one. Just go there and wait em out. They will come.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Plenty still out there to kill. IMO some of the easier "suicide" birds come after the beginning of the season . The way the weather is this yr tho things are slightly ahead. Still plenty of opportunity to kill em tho.

Last edited:

Big H

Medina
Several years ago I killed a nice bird on the last morning. Textbook off the roost hunt, called him in from 300 + yards and he came in like he was on a string. Same old adage, "You can't kill one sitting on the couch, or in bed"

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I killed my 2nd bird yesterday by using a gobble shaker late in the morning....that big sumbitch came in all pizzed off and looking for a fight!

I'm going to pick up a second tag this evening and get after it. :smiley_bril:

A best friend of mine shot his first turkey of this season, yesterday evening, around 7:30ish. He said it had a 10" beard, 3/4" spurs and was gobbling until about the last 75 yards. He said he could've shot it at 30 yards, but it spotted his decoys and ran back the way it came in, started looking around and then came back in toward the decoys. He made the shot at about 25 yards and laid him out. :smiley_dead:

Bowhunter57