Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Road Rage Karma

hunterkid94

I really havent been on here, and I apologize for not being active but Im back for the time being with a somewhat funny story. Last week a few friends and I were heading to school from breakfast at Ihop. While going down the road, we got behind a black Cellica going very under the speed limit in the passing lane, so I stayed in the right lane and was about to pass her. As I get ahead of her, I see where it cuts down to one lane. Seeing that I have to get to the left, I signal to get over but next thing you know shes side by side with me looking at me while she talks on the phone. I try to speed up a little more to get over but she does the same. I really dont know why she kept speeding up to not let me over, I had signaled and I know she saw it but anyways I was not willing to give in to someone like that so I drop a gear and get ahead with ease and get into the lane with plenty of room. I understand I could have easily slowed down and let her continue, but you know how it is, sometimes we just dont give in lol. So we come through a few small roads and the whole time shes tailgating the shit out of me. I dont brake check her or anything like that in fear that she may be so into her phone conversation that she may not slow down and hurt my car. I saw no reason for her to act like that, I didnt do anything wrong other than speed a little bit to pass her, but I put up with it. Next, we turn onto the highway and she gets into the left lane and pulls up next to me, still on that damn phone, and just takes off. Obviously she has somewhere important to be right? Well that sucks, because we passed a cop and she didnt even see him sitting there, so she got pulled over :smiley_clap: justice is served!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like you should have paid a bit more attention to the road before trying to pass on the right. Obviously, she had seen a sign or some other indicator that the right lane was closed ahead, and you had not. The fact that she was where she was supposed to be, and you were not, you should have slowed and dropped in behind her. Lane merges are a great place to see how a person's mind will freeze when it is evident that "the end is near".

hunterkid94

Sounds like you should have paid a bit more attention to the road before trying to pass on the right. Obviously, she had seen a sign or some other indicator that the right lane was closed ahead, and you had not. The fact that she was where she was supposed to be, and you were not, you should have slowed and dropped in behind her. Lane merges are a great place to see how a person's mind will freeze when it is evident that "the end is near".

Maybe you missed the part where I said I had plenty of room and ended up getting into the lane with zero problems. We were 3 bends away from where it merges, so that does not excuse going so slow in the passing lane.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Waiting until the last possible second to merge over is what causes bottleneck congestion. From your own words, you are the one who made errors in judgement while driving...jus sayin.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The older I get though, the more conservative I become. I have seen blood on the highway. I have spent time as an EMT. I have driven many miles. The older you get, the more you look at things like this and think "Wow! Two idiots in two cars!"

Sorry Hunterkid. To me it sounds like you were both making less than solid decisions. Not knocking on you. Been there and done it. Slowly we grow out of aggressive driving. Not everyone does, but I have for the most part. Stuff three kids and a wife in your vehicle and you learn more patience for stuff like this. Be careful out there bubba.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Maybe you missed the part where I said I had plenty of room and ended up getting into the lane with zero problems. We were 3 bends away from where it merges, so that does not excuse going so slow in the passing lane.

People go slow in the passing lane.The sooner you figure this out and realize you have ZERO control over that the happier you will be. I drive 100 miles a day and have seen just about everything imaginable.. Some things just never change. People doing 10 under in the passing lane, People waiting to merge until the last minute, people entering a lane they know is ending just to pass someone, passing on the right, etc.. These things will never change.. On my 50 mile one way commute The difference between 65mph and 75mph is literally less than five minutes at my destination.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Joe your right. I set the cruise on 70 and just roll. driving fast and in and out of traffic stresses you out and doesnt get you there but maybe 2 min faster. Not worth it!

Buckmaster

Portage
I guess this wouldn't be a good time to chime in about how we made it from Buffalo to Cleveland in 2 hours towing a 26 foot boat.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I guess this wouldn't be a good time to chime in about how we made it from Buffalo to Cleveland in 2 hours towing a 26 foot boat.

Been there and done that sorta thing a lot. Thing is, there are times to make up ground, and times to use your head. Really stupid moves do not get you there any quicker. Anyone that has ever ridden with me on an interstate will tell you that. Time and place for everything.