Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First Time Out this year...

hunna771

My dad called me last night and told me a local farmer told him that he had some carp in one of his creeks and he wanted me to come over and try to shoot some. I called my buddy Zak and he said he wanted to go. We got some old shoes and shorts on, grabbed my dads gaff, my quiver full of arrows and my recurve and away we went! (zak was using my Ben Pearson #40 recurve). We got to the creek and we didn't see anything...:smiley_arrogant: we walked along it, getting an unacceptable amount of itchweed... that sucked. we walked a good 3/4 of a mile before zak spotted some fish. 3-4 ft. long carp. We were on opposite sides of the creek from each other, btw. We got within 15 yards and they spooked. Its amazing how well such big fish hide in a 3 foot wide creek, lol. We kept going and zak spottted a couple more. He shot and missed and i shot once and missed and chased after it, i nocked another arrow and put it through the carp's gills and out of its mouth!!! he didn't get too far...:smiley_bril::smiley_clap: Since this was my first one of the year we took a couple pics. we didn't see any other fish for the rest of the day :smiley_chinrub: oh well! we're goiin' to a lake hopefully next weekend!! We'll get some more, then!:smiley_bril:
0506121339.jpg0506121350.jpg:pickle::pickle: silly carp...rotflmao

hunna771

Stopped by Gander Mtn. on my way home from the dentist... decided swimming into creeks and lakes to get my arrows flung at carp was too much work, and catching them when i hit them. I picked up a roller rest and an arrow(safety slide, nock, and point/tip).

bowfishgear.jpg
I went to that lake i was talking about in the original post, and after a lot of misses and getting used to such a heavy arrow, i got one!! i'm addicted to bowfishing now. I wanna go out there with a boat and some big lights one summer night... Its a blast!! Impale a scale!! :pickle: :smiley_bril:

carp1.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Hunna, ditch that rest and shoot shelf...be sure to get a couple nocks and rotate you arrow shaft so that the safety stop is about 30 degrees away from your riser...if this is cornfusing tell your dad to give me a call.

hunna771

So, my friend Elliot and i went back to his hunting property with the carp filled creek. We saw 2 carp and i missed one...:smiley_depressive: We walked around the 2 ponds on the property and Elliot told me that there was a swamp that we could check out... We walk up to it and its a murky, muddy mess. You can see that quite easily in these pics...bakers1.jpg bakers2.jpg I saw a mouth sucking on the surface of the water, i started wading... I got within 15 yds and it spooked. i held still and waited. Elliot was watching from the bank. I look to my right and there was another fish, a big one. 10 feet, tops. I slowly draw back, trying not to spook him and i smoked him!!! Turns out, we were in a swamp loaded with quillbacks!! I pulled him in quickly and got to work. This was my first time wading and trying to shoot fish with a bow. I had 2 get away, but got 5 and Elliot, using a hillbilly bow rig got 2 and lost 1!!! 7 fish in 45 minutes isn't too bad for beginners... After the firs 4 or so they figured out that they needed to stay on the bottom and take off before we get within 10 feet of them!!!:smiley_clap:

quillback.jpgquillback2.jpgquillback3.jpgquillback1.jpgquillback4.jpg

it was a blast!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
nice job hunter..We went in search of quillbacks yesterday and didn't find any...not sure where they are but we got into the gar pretty good....I have a feeling Carpn's gar record is gonna be broke on day soon.....shot a 43.5 and 45 incher yesterday...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I hope you break the record but it ain't my record. It got broke last yr with a giant gar by Ohio standards. Current record s over 53" and over 19# .

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I hope you break the record but it ain't my record. It got broke last yr with a giant gar by Ohio standards. Current record s over 53" and over 19# .
dam....thats a hoss...53 is a stud...do you know where it was shot? first feesh i put fuggin jackolope on was a 47 incher....lucky bastard

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Portage lakes. Turkey foot specifically. Yeah, 53" is looong for Ohio, plus it had weight too. I shot a 53" fish in the Ohio river that only weighed 14#.