Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

And so it begins.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Set a block today in the area where Clyde was. I'll put a cam on it in about a month or so. Just wanted to get it out now before the crops get tall.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good idea staking that block in place. I always hate when they nose it around, just out of view of the camera. lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good idea staking that block in place. I always hate when they nose it around, just out of view of the camera. lol

Did it mostly to get it up above the hole. Water will fill the hole and melt the whole block in just a couple rains if you set it in the puddle. Plus the water leeches the salt deeper in the hole and this gives them something to lick when it's full of water.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here is his buddy on the left.. I called him Bud.. His brows looked like the Budweiser crown as it had three splits..

Hopefully I'll see these two back at the block this summer. Hunting pressure is very light in this area and unless you hunt this small block smart they'll be on to you.. In this picture I had just hung this came the day before.. It doesn't click or make noise.. But they picked it out right away..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I never found his sheds.. But ole Redhead Tank was spotted alive after season.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Sweet!!! Try getting some minerals out there other than salt to help with antler growth, that'll blow him up! Ive been using Monster Raxx for several years but theres plenty of other options.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sweet!!! Try getting some minerals out there other than salt to help with antler growth, that'll blow him up! Ive been using Monster Raxx for several years but theres plenty of other options.

I don't think them deerz up in Boyd country need supplemental minerals. They seem to be getting plenty from somewhere. Lol.

I know that might seem like a dick comment in some ways. But personally I'm not sold that it matters that much. Maybe it does. Idk. But there seems to be a big jump on many of these deer from 2-3 and again from 3-4. Maybe in some areas they need more nutrition. Around there they appear to be well fed and healthy.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't think them deerz up in Boyd country need supplemental minerals. They seem to be getting plenty from somewhere. Lol.

I know that might seem like a dick comment in some ways. But personally I'm not sold that it matters that much. Maybe it does. Idk. But there seems to be a big jump on many of these deer from 2-3 and again from 3-4. Maybe in some areas they need more nutrition. Around there they appear to be well fed and healthy.

Plus, even as cheap as DIY mineral mixes are, they're still not as cheap as a 50# TSC salt block. lol

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana

I've dumped some mineral stuff that was supposed to help with antler growth before beside a salt block and it laid there and looked like a pile of vomit for 3 months. With 1000's of acres of crops, age and good genetics it don't matter and I'm sure you'd agree...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've dumped some mineral stuff that was supposed to help with antler growth before beside a salt block and it laid there and looked like a pile of vomit for 3 months. With 1000's of acres of crops, age and good genetics it don't matter and I'm sure you'd agree...

I agree with ya JD!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jackalope- Looking great man! Good luck with Clyde, Bud, and Tank! That has got to feel great knowing there are three potential shooters going into the season!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jackalope- Looking great man! Good luck with Clyde, Bud, and Tank! That has got to feel great knowing there are three potential shooters going into the season!

Tall 8, Wide 8, and this crab claw buck should still be out there somewhere. But they are all unconfirmed.

And who knows.. Maybe the elusive 7-up may show up too..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm convinced minerals help, but help more in ways we cannot see. I'm also smart enough to know that nothing in a bag that gets dumped on the ground will take a 125" buck to a 145" in a year, or even two years. Age and genetics will always supersede gimmicks. That being said, I do feel like a quality mix of minerals will aid in protein retention among a few other benefits, and the increased protein makes for a healthy herd across the board. That is the number 1 reason I mix minerals and provide them to our herd. If it didn't work, cattle farmers wouldn't spend the money on it and being similar ruminants, I don't see it as a stretch that it will also help the deer herd. But in terms of something from a bag making it "VERY easy" to grow and kill big bucks, I'll never buy in to that. Nothing makes it easy IMO...