Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Girlfriends 1st Bird

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
I set out and accomplished what I wanted this season. I could care less to shoot one myself. But my goal was to get Joe and my girlfriend a bird.

My girlfriend(Cecily), Joe and I had hunted this bird on 3 different occasions. Each time henned up, but giving me curtosey gobbles. Opening morning we had him at full strut at 60 yards. Last saturday I got him to shock gobble, heard hens with him, and we snuck close. I peeped around a bush and saw him at 20 yards, luckily his ass end was facing me while he was in full strut. I grabbed Cecily, had her walk slowly backwards to get ready to lay him out. It failed lol. The week went by, I figured this bird has to be receptive soon and without hens. As I was setting the decoys out in an area he struts, he started hammering about a hundred yards away. I didnt want to give him the same tunes I shoved down his throat the past 3 times, so I switched up and imitated 2 hens. He hammered everytime back at me. I told Cecily this birds going to fly down any second, and no sooner than I said that i looked up, out of no where, this bird is gliding through the air, and landed.

6:14 AM
10 Inch beard
3/4 inch spurs
No idea on the weight yet.

I put alot of energy into this thing. But Im happy I didnt spoil her from the get go. Surprisingly Cecily kept up lol. This bird kept us thinking, moving, setting up, moving again etc. She never dragged ass. Always persistant as I was was.

Thanks all and Joe for giving me the oppurtunity to share this story. Ive learned alot over the years from you all. For sure a memorable hunt. :)

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I see two winners in that pic!!!! Congrats on her first bird and to you for being totally out of your league rotflmao!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note you definitely have the passion for this Alex! Great pic.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Way to go man.. I knew he would get lonely and slip up eventually. I thought for sure we had him Saturday, all he needed to do was walk 10 more yards our direction.. There is at least one more in there and a jake, and that big 3yo we saw last year is still around somewhere.. That could be that other bird.. I say we go down farther and see what's there.