Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Float tubes

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have been throwing around the idea of getting a kayak or a float tube for a while. Was considering all the pros and cons of both. Well I ran into a deal I couldn't say no to on Monday. Picked up a float tube for $20. I was kinda leaning towards a float tube over a yak due to ease of transportation. It does have a few years on of but is in great shape as far as all the float material goes. I do want to get a new main tube as the one that is in it is showing some signs of dry rot. But still I can't beat the price. This tube new runs anywhere from $195-$245. By the time I get my new tube and a couple add on modifications I will have around $70 in the whole thing.

uploadfromtaptalk1336093574718.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I always thought I wanted one, especially when they first came on the market and I fished a lot of ponds as a kid. I never did get one, and I suspect if I did now I'd drown myself. Good luck, and I hope you catch a bunch of fish!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well picked up a new tube this evening at TSC for $20. Also worked on a floating rod holder with tool tray to attach to the side of the float tube. With any luck I will be giving it a try tomorrow afternoon.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well I was able to get the tube ijfk the water yesterday for it inaugural voyage. Everything went really well except for two things. One was the floating rod holder, it isn't buoyant enough. It works great as long as I'm anchored, but if I'm moving it wants to start tipping. Got a couple different ideas on Joe to increase its buoyancy. Second was the fish. The only thing I was catching all day was sun fish and grappled that where 4-5". I probably caught somewhere in the range of 40-50 of the crappie.

uploadfromtaptalk1336346422673.jpg

As far as the next project it will be a floating cooler for the beer not a motor.

Hoytmania,
I'm glad you like your new found fishing method. I considered getting one about the same time I considered a pontoon boat or a kayak and am very happy with the kayak. I fish earlier and later in the year and don't care for being IN the water when it's that cold. It depends on the type/location of waters that's being fished too...I don't care for float fishing around debris, stumps, moss beds, etc. Being ON the water appeals more to me than being IN the water.

Anyway, I certainly hope you enjoy your new found fishing. BTW...great deal on the float tube. :smiley_clap:

Bowhunter57