Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help deciding on mower

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Well, I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger and jump on the zero turn band wagon. I have my price limit so I have really been looking at the Toro TimeCutter MX5060 with a 50" deck and the John Deere Z425 with the 54" deck. I really prefer the 54" deck but in all of my review readings the John Deere has had some negativity. To be honest, the Toro not so much so, it has nothing but good reviews. I am really torn here because I grew up with John Deere, and have had the one I have now with no real issues. Plus the John Deere dealership will give me $799 trade in for my current 2003 L110, which I thought was decent. So, do any of you guys have experience the John Deere or Toro brand zero turns, or any opinion either way? Oh, Toro is also offering 0% for 48 months....

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Hickslawn will chime in on the Toro, he owns (or atleast did last year) a Toro Zero turn. I ran it a few times when I helped him out part time, I didn't have any complaints. Mowed great and a very nice ride. He can fill you on all the details.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
I'll be keeping tabs on this thread. I'd like to get one in the near future. Other than that, I have zero to offer!

The L110 has definitely been good. But what did it for me was watching my neighbor mow his two acres with 127 trees on it quicker than I mow my one acre with three trees. We as a family have so much going on all the time between my wifes job, stuff I do and the boys and their sports, that if I can cut my mowing time down some it would really help.

Huckleberry Finn

Zero turns are a lot of fun!

If you're looking at other brands, my experiences have been with Scags (cadillacs) and Bob-Cat ZT's. The later is probably within your price range and I really like them for their durability and small ass-end, which helps.

Lawnsite.com should have some reviews of both, but a lot of the landscapers on there will tell you to buy commercial and not the homeowner version. ...but if you're only mowing an acre I think you'd be fine with anything

Of course, I'm a huge Deere fan, all the way back to great-grandpa working as a mechanic for them. But what do I know, Dad's MTD 42" $300 used tractor is on season 10. I've been trying to kill it for the last five and this spring the SOB fired up on the first turn of the key.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
My granpda mows some grass as well, he has two Bobcat ZT's that he has had minimal problems with as well. They mow pretty and are fairly priced.

twireman

Kingston, OH
My inlaws bought the z425 last april. It's giving them some fits right now not wanting to start. Just turns over for like 15 seconds acting like it's not getting gas. Hit it with ether and it's good. Kinda strange. You can google the problem as it seems fairly common. She was calling the warranty people this week to see what could be done. It's a beast of a mower though. I love using it. Just a little glitch to get worked out. It has a Kohler motor I believe.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The L110 has definitely been good. But what did it for me was watching my neighbor mow his two acres with 127 trees on it quicker than I mow my one acre with three trees. We as a family have so much going on all the time between my wifes job, stuff I do and the boys and their sports, that if I can cut my mowing time down some it would really help.

I feel ya brother! It takes me 5-6 hours to mow now. As much as I've been working lately, It's hard to find that time to get out and get it all done at once, so I do it in patches, and I hate that. I'd like to think with a good zero turn, I could cut that time in half, and that would be great for me! I could get all my mowning done in an evening after work.

I've been wondering about the Bob-Cats, as that is what they use here on plant, and they seem do a good job in tight spaces. My biggest concern is something that will cut the mowning time down, but also make a nice cut!

Huckleberry Finn

I've been wondering about the Bob-Cats, as that is what they use here on plant, and they seem do a good job in tight spaces. My biggest concern is something that will cut the mowning time down, but also make a nice cut!

The farm I worked for bought one after we cut the corn maze with a rental...yes, that's 8 foot field corn and a zero-turn knocking down and mulching the stalks. I think they cut great, believe we had a 54"

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Any of the bigger commercial units are nice.

I believe they are overkill for most people though. Most would not wear out the $3k Cub Cadet zero turn mower at Home Depot with proper maintenance. I would save the extra 7k for something else.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Any of the bigger commercial units are nice.

I believe they are overkill for most people though. Most would not wear out the $3k Cub Cadet zero turn mower at Home Depot with proper maintenance. I would save the extra 7k for something else.

Agreed, the two I am looking at ate right around 4k.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The fish hatchery I worked at had a couple John Deere Z's... I always liked them... Fast, comfortable, and cut grass like a mother! How do the warranties compare between the JD and the Toro? That should weigh heavily on your decision, IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Toro? I have one but not a fair comparison. Ours is full blown commercial unit. Parents have a Toro Time Cutter (smaller version) and it has been okay. I think wheel motors was something to watch out for in regards to maintenance. Overall, I would think a home owner version under $4k and they are all pretty dang close. Ariens, Husqvarna, Toro, JD, and any other z-turn at the box stores will be pretty close. If any of these is at a dealer (not box store) I would lean that way.

Want something a bit beefier than these models? Brother in law bought a Gravely (or Ariens) and it was a pretty stout machine. Some of the Bad Boy mowers at Tractor Supply look to be in this price range as well. They are friggin' tanks for the money. Dixie Chopper offers some home owner models as well which are close to this price. Skag also has some in this range.

Option C: Find a nice commercial walk behind unit with a sulky. Chances are you can get a 48" unit for $1500 that is built like a tank and will last you 20 years.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
The fish hatchery I worked at had a couple John Deere Z's... I always liked them... Fast, comfortable, and cut grass like a mother! How do the warranties compare between the JD and the Toro? That should weigh heavily on your decision, IMO.

The Toro has 3 yr and the JD is 2 yr.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Simplicity zero turns for residential lawns....they are a real good mower also and have 4 wheel independent suspension which means a comfortable ride. I have a Ferris 61" ZTR and it is the bomb, but would be overkill for just mowing an acre.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Simplicity/Cub Cadet/Toro/JD/Husqvarna/ they are all about the same when you are talking home owner models. Most have the same 3-5 engines. Nearly all of them use the same wheel motors. Deck spindles are probably very close. They are all built at a price point and to reach a specific market. They are all built to last x number of hours. Just my opinion.