Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey question

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just wondering, is there an accurate way to age a turkey? I figure jakes are 2 years old or there abouts but what indicates a bird that is 5,6, or 7?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jakes are birds hatched the previous spring. I have heard 1/4 " per year on spurs, haven't a clue how accurate that is because I have never killed one at 3/4''... which you would think you would if they grow at 1/4" intervals. Seems like they are 1/2", then about 1'', and then in 1/4'' increments beyond that. Best bird I ever shot had 1 1/2" hooks, he looked old to me, and all the local know it alls said 5.

Kaiser878

ohio
Im not real knowledgeable about turkeys.....

but from what I have seen and been told is as follows. also, spurs tend to be different in diff regions of the country.

a jake is a year old bird
3/4 to 7/8 tends to be 2.
1 to 1 1/8 inch tends to be 3 with tips that are starting to sharpen... then you start getting sharp hooks at 1+ inch after a bird is 4....
there again, this is all roughly speaking
someone who knows more might be able to enlighten you better

Last edited:

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Just wondering, is there an accurate way to age a turkey? I figure jakes are 2 years old or there abouts but what indicates a bird that is 5,6, or 7?

Jakes are last years poults, usually 3/4 to 1" is a 2 yr. old bird and if a bird is 5 or older they'll have 1 1/2" spurs. This is for Easterns some other species have longer spurs.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ohoooooooo, thanks for the info guys. When toms have mutiple beards is that an anomaly or another age factor?

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Yep you guys are pretty much right.

General Guideline
1/4 inch and less= Jake
3/4 inch= 2 year old
1 inch= 3 year old
1 1/4 inch= 4 year old
1 1/2 inch= 5 year old

Beard size and length has more to do with health and genetics, but it is fair to say that older birds will have thicker longer beards while 2 year olds many times have thinner beards. I do not believe mutiple beards has anything to do with age though.