Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hen on Nest

old hunter

Hen Eggs.jpgHere is a picture of a hen on a nest in one of the woods I hunt.She has been on it for over two and a half weeks that I know of. There are 18 eggs in the nest,which is the most I have ever seen in one nest.Hen on nest.jpg

LonewolfNopack

The woods
That's awesome!! I love that. For as big as turkeys are, I have only ever found one actual nest with eggs in it. I found the remains of a eaten turkey this morning, right before I saw a coyote near by. Makes me wonder how many sitting hens like that are taken off of the nest. If she let a silly human approach her ( no offense, all humans are silly ) then I am pretty sure she would be an easy target for a hungry yote. Hope she makes us and brings forth to you many future hens and gobblers!! Can you describe the type of area the nest was in? It looks pretty thick with some young elm and hickory coming in, was it an edge ?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
shes doing a good job keeping the coons away. I think they are the reason we dont have any poults from last year. hope they can survive the coyotes till they can fly.

old hunter

I took the picture with a Telephoto lense. I was not as close as it looks. I took the egg picture about 8:eek:o and the hen at10:30.I have ambled onto quite e few nests over the years,while mushroom hunting & turkey hunting,but I have never seen that many eggs in one before. I also found a hen carcass gotten by a yote or fox this morning,some time in the last couple days.Wasn't much left.I also think coons get allot of the eggs. Glad you enjoyed the pics.