Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mossberg Grand Slam Turkey Series shotguns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mossberg 500 pump guns have been a go to gun for years. I have owned one and also several Remington 870s. Lately, it seems the newer 870s have been clunky and nothing compared to the older 870 Wingmasters of the 70's-80's. I began searching for a turkey/coyote gun and Tree Monkey was kind enough to loan me his Mossberg for turkey season.

Overall looks: Awesome!

Functionality: Great. This one has the collapsible stock, pistol grip, 20" or 22" barrels are options, adjustable fiber optic sights, and is in Mossy Oak full camo. The choke is Mossberg and performs well. They are right around 7lbs. They hold 6 shells and chamber a 3" round.

Price: Pretty fair for all you get. MSRP is $440-450. Do some internet shopping though and I have seen these about a hundred less for new guns. Might not be with all the features such as pistol grip stock, but same sights, choke, and barrel.

Customer Service: Excellent. How do I know? Well, I sort of broke the rear sight on TM's gun today. Honestly not sure how, but it happened. Only thing I can figure is it slid off my shoulder when I had it slung. I leaned over to pick up something and it swung forward and off my shoulder. It never hit the ground, but it must have snagged a tree or something when it moved. Doesn't appear to be a regular problem people can expect. Really does look like just a freak mishap. I called customer service, told them I was borrowing the gun and they are shipping one to my address. No questions asked other than the serial number of the gun. This was impressive to me.

Performance: I was very happy with the patterns and performance it provided. I shot 4's, 6's, and Hevi-Shot Magnum blend. 4's were pretty good. 6's were not so great at a distance. Magnum blend of 5-6-7's were killer! Different choke or ammo would obviously give different results, but this was what I found. I believe the choke says xx-full.

Cons: The only con I see is the typical noisey forearm grip. It isn't terrible, but sometimes rattles when you don't expect it to. I don't sit there playing with it and making noise, but if you move the gun or bump it, there is the possibility of noise at inopportune times.
The only other con is not something I can fault the gun for but is humorous. This is more of a warning than anything. IF you shoot this with the collapsible stock folded all the way in: Be cautious of holding your cheek against the stock! Your check is up closer to the receiver and with 3" turkey loads your cheek will remind you not to do this twice. lmao

Overall: I would not hesitate to buy one of these guns. In fact, if I kill a turkey with it, I might have to buy Tree Monkey a new one because I don't think I will be giving it back. lol

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I was hoping to get a turkey gun this season also but you and I are kinda in the same boat. I was looking at the mossberg 535 combo. They have it at the den for $369. That's quite a deal on a good turkey gun with a slug barrel to boot.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The old 500 got it done again this morning. Jellyhean choke and Winchester supreme number 5s. 35 paces and he dropped stone cold dead. Not a single flop.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I use a 835 ultra mag and think its a great gun!!!! don't have a single bad thing to say except that if you decide to shoot 3 and half inch mags out of it be prepared for a solid thumpin!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ask and ye shall receive JBrown!

Not the best pictures, but good enough. I should note, there is a rear fiber optic sight with two red pins which is currently not on this gun. They are very nice though!

Attachments

• Mossburg front sight.jpg
    Mossburg front sight.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Mossberg pump fore end.jpg
    Mossberg pump fore end.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 354
  • Mossberg turkey gun.jpg
    Mossberg turkey gun.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 308
  • Mossberg stock.jpg
    Mossberg stock.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 357

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
New sight arrived today. 10 days from the date I broke it and called Mossberg the new rear sight arrived. Now if I only had a turkey around here to test it out on.

hickslawns said:
Cons: The only con I see is the typical noisey forearm grip. It isn't terrible, but sometimes rattles when you don't expect it to. I don't sit there playing with it and making noise, but if you move the gun or bump it, there is the possibility of noise at inopportune times.
hickslawns,
I just ran across this...should've read it earlier. If you remove the forearm and put a thin piece of felt or cheese cloth between the two pieces, it'll stop the rattle.

Not all of the 500 series models have the rattling forearm. I guess I got lucky and have a quiet one.
Here's a pic of mine:
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/52263.jpg

I have to agree with the patterning ability of this series of shotguns. No matter what the pellet size, with the correct choke restriction, I've been able to attain great patterns at some amazing yardages. :smiley_coolpeace:

Bowhunter57