Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Hunting the Valleys

huntalot14

Hey everyone,
New to the site already learning a bunch of new stuff. I'm hunting in Southeastern Ohio pretty close to the Athens area and as anyone whose familiar with this area knows it is extremely hilly. I was just seeing if anyone had advice as to turkeys preference when it comes to traveling through valleys/hills (do they tend to stay on top of the ridge lines or at the lower elevations) and just any other bits of advice would be great. Went out this morning and set up in a clearing at the top of one of the valleys, still all woods. Had 3 birds responding too my calls but the line of site is so limited its hard to judge how far off they were (could just be on the other side of the hill). Any advice is appreciated.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Mrex should be along shortly to help you out. Dude kills turkeys like they're roaches down in Athens county..

And welcome to the Site BTW.. Lots of good guys and information here.

huntalot14

Awesome I appreciate it. And yea i can tell. Gotta get to class now but i'll be back on to check what he's got to say later this afternoon. Thanks

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I hunt in Washington County, so I have to deal with the same issues. My turkey hunting experience is very limited as I've only killed one and really have not put much effort in to it over the years. However I do spend a good bit of time in the woods in my area and know that the vast majority of the gobblers I see/hear, like to roost on points or ridge lines. The bird I killed last year was roosting on a subtle point on the ridge above our big creek bottom. Within a few minutes of pitching off roost, he was in the creek bottom. It seems most of the birds I see, like to hit the bottoms midday to late afternoon. This mornings birds were all on the ridge with the exception of one. That bird was roosted on a point directly above a plowed corn field and it didn't take him long to get there once he flew down. Unfortunately for me, he was on ground I can't hunt...

Good luck this spring and welcome to the site! Lots of knowledgeable sportsmen on this site, so I have no doubts you'll get some great advice...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What Jesse said. I think they often fly off the roost and head off to get a drink first thing, usually that is in a creekbottom. That is exactly what the bird I killed this morning did. After pitching down, he went to the bottoms. I moved out the ridge to a finger that comes straight up the ridge from the creek, made a few calls and killed him at 8. He either has no hens, or was a minute man and was ready to move on mighty quick.

huntalot14

Thanks a lot. Definitely glad i signed up for this. I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow i'll let everyone know how it goes