Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What are you planting this spring?

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Most of my plots are fall planted at the end of August, but if you are planting corn, beans, etc, they need to go in the ground shortly. What are your plans?
I am so busy right now with all of my kids in sports that my weekends are pretty much scheduled until June. I might have to take Friday afternoon off to go plant a cover screen at one of the properties we have access too. I am trying something new this year and mixing corn with a tall millet. The corn is left over from an old plot and one screen is only 10 feet wide and the other 10 yards wide so I don't even know if the corn would grow well on its own in these narrow areas. Tha millet is cheap, grows tall and the deer and birds eat the seeds off the top in late fall.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Here's a pic of one screen from last year.........

Attachments

• new012.jpg
    new012.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 258

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Most of my plots are fall planted at the end of August, but if you are planting corn, beans, etc, they need to go in the ground shortly. What are your plans?
I am so busy right now with all of my kids in sports that my weekends are pretty much scheduled until June. I might have to take Friday afternoon off to go plant a cover screen at one of the properties we have access too. I am trying something new this year and mixing corn with a tall millet. The corn is left over from an old plot and one screen is only 10 feet wide and the other 10 yards wide so I don't even know if the corn would grow well on its own in these narrow areas. Tha millet is cheap, grows tall and the deer and birds eat the seeds off the top in late fall.
Thats not completely accurate...corn has a good month left without effecting ear development. The sooner the better of course will help but there should not be some great push to get them in the ground. Beans are also not an issue. I have planted them in the 2nd week of july and had a decent outcome. I'm not picking all of them so its not a problem and they don't require the fertilizer load of corn. Will probably do beans and corn again along with some sunflowers. Deers Like sunflowers..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
clover for one and or a chicory blend, you have to mow it some for weed control....fall i would put out oats....plant them in early august

Huckleberry Finn

Thats not completely accurate...corn has a good month left without effecting ear development. The sooner the better of course will help but there should not be some great push to get them in the ground.

You are right. April 21st is the first day to plant corn according to the old, wise, and rich farmers...given the weather of the last few days I think the boys are fired up to start tomorrow or Thursday.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
corn takes lots of fertilizer...lots...if you dont have a corn planter you will need to till up the ground extremely well and fertilize heavy. of course you will have weed competing for the available nitrogen. You could use Biologic stuff they have that is a mix of corn and beans but you will want to cultipack the hellout of it to be sure you get a good seed depth if you broadcast.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
How is this stuff?
http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/whitetail/seeds/chicory-plus.html

By the way, I already have a great clover base going around the plowed up area. We had planted clover before and it has really taken off. In fact, you can see some of it in the pics of Kody and his turkey.
that should work. You need to fertilize clover throughout the year. along with mowing it it will explode. spraying for grasses really helps also.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i was getting ready to make a thread about this but since itas already here ill join in, behind my house i have just over an acre i have 4 apple trees and 2 pear trees and they really draw deer in from the neighbors 300 acres, last year we moved in just before season, none of the neighbors fields were plalnted they were just grown up and nasty, so i decided to plant my one acre behind the house with corn got some of last years seed at the co-op store, i started working on my plot and came home the other day and saw the neighbor had mowed and had somebody turning up his fields, there planting corn on his place so what do i do, go ahead and do the corn or should i go with a clover or something else now.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This spring?... I'm not planting anything. I don't really have the time to battle weeds all season so I pretty much stick to fall annual plots. Oats, rye, and maybe some more brassicas or radishes this fall.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i was getting ready to make a thread about this but since itas already here ill join in, behind my house i have just over an acre i have 4 apple trees and 2 pear trees and they really draw deer in from the neighbors 300 acres, last year we moved in just before season, none of the neighbors fields were plalnted they were just grown up and nasty, so i decided to plant my one acre behind the house with corn got some of last years seed at the co-op store, i started working on my plot and came home the other day and saw the neighbor had mowed and had somebody turning up his fields, there planting corn on his place so what do i do, go ahead and do the corn or should i go with a clover or something else now.
There is more to it but I would put in something green for late season when the corn is off..

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Thats not completely accurate...corn has a good month left without effecting ear development. The sooner the better of course will help but there should not be some great push to get them in the ground. Beans are also not an issue. I have planted them in the 2nd week of july and had a decent outcome. I'm not picking all of them so its not a problem and they don't require the fertilizer load of corn. Will probably do beans and corn again along with some sunflowers. Deers Like sunflowers..

I agree and should have been more specific. We don't plant much corn because of the fertilizer requirements and our lack of acreage. I haven't tried sunflowers. What rate do you plant them at?

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
This spring?... I'm not planting anything. I don't really have the time to battle weeds all season so I pretty much stick to fall annual plots. Oats, rye, and maybe some more brassicas or radishes this fall.

Cotty and Big ten,
If you can wait till August, I would try a mix you can make yourself at an ag store of clover, a grain like rye, winter wheat or oats and maybe a little chickory, brassica or radishes. I'm with JBrown about fall plots. I wouldn't be planting anything now if I weren't making a screen to help the deer feel more secure in the fall planted plot.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Corn, corn, and more corn this year. Will put out some sorghum or egyptian wheat for screens as well, and probably just an area or two with a clover mix. Most likely plant the edges of the corn fields in something also.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I agree and should have been more specific. We don't plant much corn because of the fertilizer requirements and our lack of acreage. I haven't tried sunflowers. What rate do you plant them at?

usually 100 pounds an acre or more..cultipack in and then hit that same acreage with 100 pounds of 12-12-12