Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nip/Tuck for Tommy

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Remember that El Cheapo full strut cabelas decoy that everyone was talking about last week? For 15 bucks, it was a no-brainer.... and surprisingly, the quality of it is actually better than average, IMO. I had a jake fan from last season that I saved for a full strut decoy, and I also saved a couple extra wings. I normally keep a few wings around to lone out to buddies and what not... I like to have wing with me to imitate a fly down from the roost. Anyway...

The decoy looked much better with the real jake fan, so I figured adding a couple real wings would look even better.

Here's what the decoy looked like before surgery...

A little nip/tuck around the irredescent should feathers...

You end up with a tight slot (get your minds out of the gutter, fellas)

Grab a dried wing...

... and stuff.

The slot that I cut in the side of the decoy is tight enough that it holds the wing rock solid. In even the strongest wind, I doubt this thing is going to fall apart.

Finished product...

Turkeys, hide your mothers and your daughters... Tommy is lookin for some love!

Huckleberry Finn

How are you going to pack that big ole fella into the field? I know what you mean in the other decoy thread now about not wanting to carry too much, you're carrying big things!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How are you going to pack that big ole fella into the field? I know what you mean in the other decoy thread now about not wanting to carry too much, you're carrying big things!

The same way you would when you shoot one through a fence. Tuck and go! lmao

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Very Nice JB.... That is a great added touch. Thinking if your wings ever do get loose, a lil bit of Gorilla Glue will take care of it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I'm planning on carrying this and one hen decoy with me. Well, at least for certain situations... I may not always take this big fugger along. I don't think it'll be too bad, though. The hen will fold up and go in my vest. The fan and wings... also will go into the back of my vest. Stakes... those go in the vest. So really, all I have to carry is my gun and the body of the fullstrut decoy.

The same way you would when you shoot one through a fence. Tuck and go! lmao

Shhhhh.... that one's a secret tactic, Joe!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have one of the carrying bags for a deer blind. Has shoulder straps and drawstring...... Carries my stool and 3 dekes~~you never know it's on your back.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm sayin if it holds still, RD is trying to tag it!

All I am saying is it is a good thing JB's decoy doesn't breathe or have a heartbeat. Ol' Riverdude has been on a mission lately! lol

Looks great Jim! Great suggestion. The decoys I have came with a mess bag similar to the deer decoy bag as well. For $15 i guess they couldn't throw in a bag.