Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bittersweet

mrex

*Supporting member*
This was the last morning I’ll get to hunt the special youth season with my boys. This time next year my youngest will be too old.

The boys had birds roosted in 3 different locations last night. The bird Corey chose to hunt at first light kicked our ass, as most roost birds do. It started to rain this morning the instant we sat down. At about 8:00 am, we got in the truck and moved to another spot. While sitting in the cab trying to warm up, I asked Corey, “If you really wanted to kill a turkey today, how would you do it?” He replied, “I’d get out of this truck!” And 10 minutes later, this gobbler was riding with us.

I believe Dave Swanson came up with the idea of a special youth turkey season. We’ve hunted every one since the inception and most of my fondest memories in the spring turkey woods have come from these hunts with my boys. For those of you with little ones, I strongly encourage you take time / make time to hunt with your kids. It is true, they don’t stay little for ever.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will echo what Drake said: Love the attitude!

Congrats on a great morning of father/son bonding. I look forward to more time in the woods with my kids. Scouting, shed hunting, and such is nice. Hunting has not been as much fun. Short attention spans and fidgety kids have made it difficult. I am thinking Geoffrey will be ready for some seat time this year though and hopefully Graci and Garrett will follow suit. Time will tell.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Congrats to Corey, Mike!

I look forward to building the memories and enjoying the experiences you speak of with my kids.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It may be the last youth hunt together but there'll be plenty more great memories ahead of you both. Congrats to your son!

lung buster

hocking county
Congrats to you guy's ! My son and I spent the last 2 day's in the woods together and even though he didn't get to pull the trigger (yet), I will never take for granted the time that we get to spend together!