Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How To: Walk-back Tuning

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When it comes to dialing in your favorite hunting or 3d rig, there are many many different means to an end. Paper tuning, broadhead tuning, creep tuning, french tuning, bareshaft tuning... the list goes on and on. Some are basic, some are borderline hair-splitting. If you read any of the hunting and archery forums around the web, you'll notice that everyone has their own tuning routine, and many will claim that "their way" is the best way. Even though some methods may be more effective than others, it's really just a matter of personal preference. For me, I like to start by paper tuning and then dial it in by walk-back tuning. It's an extremely simple, yet effective tuning method and even though there are hundreds of how-to guides out there on the web, I thought TOO was a fitting destination for another.

When I set up a new rest on a bow, I start by paper tuning in the garage from about 6' away from the paper. I'll tweak the rest and/or my nock point to adjust for any high/low tears, and if I get a bad left/right tear I may adjust a little bit for that too... However, I've discovered that sometimes you can really end up "chasing your tail" trying to get rid of a left or right tear through paper. Something as simple as an inconsistent grip can wreak havoc on your paper tuning success. So, once my nock point and rest height are set, I move on to walk-back tuning.

Ok, first step... Sight in your first pin at about 10 yds. Make sure it is DEAD NUTS on the money. With the speed of today's bows, this will also put you pretty close to being sighted in at 20... but nevermind that, focus on 10 yds for right now.

Next, place a piece of electrical tape vertically down the center of your target.

Now, take a shot at the black tape somewhere near the top of your target. Make sure your arrow is in the tape. Once you do that, walk back 10 or 15 yards, aim at the SAME SPOT with the SAME PIN as your first shot. Make sure that if you have a sight level, you use it. Walk back another 10 or 15 yards and do the same thing... same point of aim, same pin. Obviously, each shot will be lower and lower the farther you walk back. What you want to see is your arrows all hitting on or very very close to that black tape.

Let's say your arrows do not fall directly below each other on the tape. Instead, you end up with something that looks like this...

Your arrows are moving slightly LEFT as you get farther away from the target. This means that your arrow rest is just slightly too far LEFT. To resolve this, move your rest ever-so-slightly to the RIGHT... I'm talking like a 1/16th of an inch or less at a time. Then go back to 10 yds and start over. If you had to move your rest a bunch, you may notice that you have to readjust your sight windage to hit dead nuts at 10 again. This is normal. Re-sight it in and start the process over... 10 yds and shoot, walk back to 25 and shoot, walk back to 40 and shoot. If your arrows then taper off to the right of the black tape, you've moved your rest too far.

This is what you want to end up with... all of your arrows falling directly below each on that black tape.

Now here's the thing... In order for walk-back tuning to be effective, you need to be fresh and take good quality shots. If you feel like you've pulled a shot, don't use that arrow as a guide. Make sure you're using your sight level and you're grip is consistent. Also make sure that your arrows are spined correctly for the bow you're shooting and your arrows/broadheads are properly squared.

If you follow the steps above, I guarantee you will have great results. You will be able to shoot virtually any broadhead... fixed, mechanicals, whatever... just like they were your field points. Walk-back tuning is extremely simple, takes very little time, and is about as effective a tuning method as you're going to find.

By the way, the proof is in the pudding. Here is the first shot with a fixed blade broadhead (Steel Force Phathead 100 gr) from 30 yds, immediately after walk-back tuning my bow...

Good luck!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I assume you were no longer aiming for the tape with the broad head? lmao

Sorry, couldn't resist. JBrown- that was a fantastic write up! It will be very beneficial to many of us over the years. Thank you for taking the time to do it!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I assume you were no longer aiming for the tape with the broad head? lmao

Sorry, couldn't resist. JBrown- that was a fantastic write up! It will be very beneficial to many of us over the years. Thank you for taking the time to do it!

I knew I should have clarified that for fuggers like you, Phil. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just couldn't resist bro. I'm sorry. You put a lot of time and quality info up and there and I had to smack you in the nuts with Milo's hammer right out of the gates. That was just wrong. lmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just couldn't resist bro. I'm sorry. You put a lot of time and quality info up and there and I had to smack you in the nuts with Milo's hammer right out of the gates. That was just wrong. lmao

Naw, dude... it was worth it. I got a good chuckle out of that. :)

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great write up JBrown!! I've always paper tuned until I got my tears to be as close to "bullet" holes as possible and then left it at that. Then last year, for the first time, I used walk back tuning after paper tuning, and it really helps fine tune that much more, plus you're getting to know your equipment much better. The nice thing about it is that it's really something that anybody can do, and it helps build confidence.

Thanks for taking the time to put that explanation together!!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
if your form sucks, walkback tuning will be very frustrating and confusing. you need to start off with the basics like proper draw length and having a torque free grip. If you don't have a level on your bow site some where then this will also be challenging. good write up JB

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
if your form sucks, walkback tuning will be very frustrating and confusing. you need to start off with the basics like proper draw length and having a torque free grip. If you don't have a level on your bow site some where then this will also be challenging. good write up JB

Milo, would paper tuning be a better way too go? I ask because when I shot compounds paper tuning seemed to work very well for the fine tuning. Your perspective on this would enlighten me and maybe some of the older guys here....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Milo, would paper tuning be a better way too go? I ask because when I shot compounds paper tuning seemed to work very well for the fine tuning. Your perspective on this would enlighten me and maybe some of the older guys here....
paper and walkback both depend on good form. you can invoke a bad tear by just switching hand positions. Beener had a 1/4 inch worse tear than i got when i shot his bow on paper. I was much more familiar with the grip and grip angle than he was. when people come to me with issues i generally work on the indian more than the bow...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
paper and walkback both depend on good form. you can invoke a bad tear by just switching hand positions. Beener had a 1/4 inch worse tear than i got when i shot his bow on paper. I was much more familiar with the grip and grip angle than he was. when people come to me with issues i generally work on the indian more than the bow...

I understand it now... Thanks for clearing that up....

Huckleberry Finn

Don't worry, I read your post about awful form and torquing the hand and I knew who you were talking about!

Great writeup, Jim.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
not generally J. many archers are preferring a thinner grip which induces less torque. The clunky grips of the past were troublesome for some people.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Going from a Mathews fat grip to a thin grip took some getting used to.

Just buy a Hooter Shooter and paper tune then walk back with it! ;)