Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gobbling

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I slept with the bedroom window open last night and while laying bed this morning trying to wake up I heard lots of gobbling from down in the hollow. Too bad the season wasnt in today. They sure were vocal. It's pretty cool jut laying there listening to them. In the evenings I hear the coyotes yipping and some mornings the turkey. Good luck to everyone... Especially those youths this weekend!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
It's one of the best sounds on this planet..diablo and i have gone out quite a few times this year and just listened from the road.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They used to roost behind my place. If was really cool to hear them in the mornings. Kinda miss it.

Right across the hollow behind my house (300 yards as the crow flies) is a pine thicket on a ridge. They open up there frequently bright and early.
That is where I heard some of the gobbling this morning as well. It was coming from a few directions. One big Tom finally showed up out in the field around 6:50am and was gobbling his head off.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Your boy is gonna be very happy if that tom does a repeat performance in the morning! I envy you Mike cause Ive often thought that I would love to be able to lay in bed and listen to one of my favorite sounds in the world..

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I never get to hear them from my house, you are very fortunate!

When I was a kid, I went to sleep listening to bullfrogs all summer long. Still miss hearing them.

Schu72

Streetsboro
We have a resident owl that will wake me a few times every spring/summer when the windows are open at night. Kind of freaked me out the first time. Now I startle slightly...mumble "damn owl" and go back to sleep...or at least try to.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I saw 4 longbeards strutting in a field yesterday morning. I went back this morning and it was 7 sturtting away. It is only fitting that local ordinance prohibits hunting....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I saw 4 toms yesterday morning at the edge of a field and one was in full strut as I began to look for a few mushrooms and scout a bit. After I sent them running off during my intrusion I heard a few gobbles down in the hollar in the direction they went. Love that sound!